Trouble installing starter motor on 48 DeSoto.

MarcDeSoto

13 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Tried to install starter in bell housing today, but it wouldn't go in far enough!  Do you have to get the pinion gear aligned first or something?  

That's the only thing I could think of.  Did you overhaul the starter or put a new flywheel ring on?  If you still have the old stuff compare ring and starter gears to see if they are the same.

Yes, have a new ring gear and a rebuilt starter.  It went in easily after all.  The hard part is how do you screw in the bottom bolt?  No way to reach it with a socket or a wrench because the clutch linkage or the starter housing is in the way.  Have to remove all of the clutch linkage again to gain access to the bottom.  I wish there was a manual that warned about these things!  

Heat and bend a open end wrench to fit the area?  Very many small turns !  Always seemed to be a hassle for me on a 50 Ply. with 3 spd. ?

DJ

• Like 1

When I put my starter in my Dodge I used a knuckled short socket and two knuckles on the extensions of a 3/8" drive to do the tightening. Your right it was a pain.  Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Yes, have a new ring gear and a rebuilt starter.  It went in easily after all.  The hard part is how do you screw in the bottom bolt?  No way to reach it with a socket or a wrench because the clutch linkage or the starter housing is in the way.  Have to remove all of the clutch linkage again to gain access to the bottom.  I wish there was a manual that warned about these things!  

Hey Marc! I just did this job, and the only thing I had to remove was the bell housing support. Here's a pic of the bottom bolt location--clutch linkage shouldn't be in the way. I was able to do it (if I remember correctly) with an open end...slowly. Chasing the threads first helped. I supported it on a floor jack...I've been slacking on my dumbbell presses, couldn't heft it up into place.

20210228_140523

Edited by ratbailey

I know it was a PITA to get the starter out and back into my 48 DeSoto to replace a leaking oil filter elbow in the block. After I was done, I decide to check my very antique Flat Rate Manual and it listed Starter Removal at 0.8 hr and the same for replacement. So it's always been a pain.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, cheesy said:

I know it was a PITA to get the starter out and back into my 48 DeSoto to replace a leaking oil filter elbow in the block. After I was done, I decide to check my very antique Flat Rate Manual and it listed Starter Removal at 0.8 hr and the same for replacement. So it's always been a pain.

That starter is a heavy sucker! I misjudged just how heavy it was when I pulled the last bolt, about to drop it on my face. I had a few quiet moments of reflection there under the car, thinking to myself, "Well, how could we have done things differently, Art?"

Edited by ratbailey
  • Like 1