Need a fuel tank drain plug

Ttumachy

Sooo close to getting the ‘51 back on the road after full rebuild of the front end. Getting it started after 8-9 years I drained the tank and went to put the plug back in. I really didn’t feel like it was that tight but the plug sheared into two pieces! I’ve got a new seal for it already on order, but I can’t find anywhere that stocks the right bolt that will seal. 

Does anyone know know where to get the bolt to put back into the fuel tank drain?

1951 Plymouth Cranbrook. For reference, it started up after that 8-9 years with just a new battery, a bit of starter fluid and adding some fuel to the fuel pump screens as they were clogged. 

This is what the plug looks like...

gas tank Drain plug (1).JPG

gas tank Drain plug (2).JPG

• Like 1

I'll check later today..

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

This is what the plug looks like...

gas tank Drain plug (1).JPG

gas tank Drain plug (2).JPG

Yes sir, that’s exactly like mine. Except, mine is now twisted in two pieces. And I really don’t like the idea of welding it back together but have not been able to find a new one.

Contact...seaplym@hotmail.com

Sells 40's 50's Plymouth parts

do you have a tap and die set that has the TPI gauge include....you can gauge the TPI and then OD.  Carry that to the local hardware retailer.  Or carry what you have remaining and match it up in the store...

If I had one out of a tank I would have recorded the size...but never saw a need to pull a drain plug....if a tank needs servicing in this late of its life, odds are you may need to cut an access hole and reweld that.   

Measured threads per inch using a  Starrett pitch gauge..20tpi.

Outside thread diameter---  .864"

What size is it?

20220102_145058_compress62.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I'd guess same as some auto oil drain plug, but a Guess!! Metric dimensions in reality  ??

DJ

Thanks everyone, this is a great help. I have a few leads to try tomorrow during business hours and I’ll also make a few runs to the local hardware stores.

It’s been a long time since this thing has seen the streets. I’m the gas tank plug and spacers for the front wheels away from driving it! Full disc conversion on the front. Thought it was supposed to work with the rims I have, but that’s not the case so need the spacers to work with the calipers. All sandblasted and powder coated front end components, all new grease fittings, shocks and springs. Sooo close to driving it again!

2 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

I'd guess same as some auto oil drain plug, but a Guess!! Metric dimensions in reality  ??

DJ

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

It seems to fall between 7/8 and 3/4 in diameter, assuming no erosion or wear on the major diameter.  If I was to pin it down I'd say it's 7/8-20, which I also believe is the drain plug size on the oil pan.

Flathead oil pan drain plug is 7/8" X 14 tpi

On 1/2/2022 at 9:37 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Flathead oil pan drain plug is 7/8" X 14 tpi

Not on my flat head it isn't.  Ran into that problem with my first oil change.  Bought a Dorman replacement that the threads were way too coarse on.  You can see the difference in the picture.

OljEwpqHZwaZemzrbJwKe3xXqS1VsyzJkRb4buP_

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Not on my flat head it isn't.  Ran into that problem with my first oil change.  Bought a Dorman replacement that the threads were way too coarse on.  You can see the difference in the picture.

OljEwpqHZwaZemzrbJwKe3xXqS1VsyzJkRb4buP_

I have to admit I got that thread spec off the look up your car drain plug 7/8 X 14 tpi off the chinese crap Dorman site.

I never actually measured the plug thread...should have.

My mistake...will not do that again?

• Like 1

Not a problem, I ended up buying the plug for the seal, as you can see the copper seal on my original plug was hammer flat.  It took everything I had and a cheater pipe to get that plug loose.  One of the many hacks I found on this car.  I think someone put the impact on it, dialed it up to "hulk smash" and let fly.

Trying to get Dorman to fix the issue though...

• Like 1