Is there any way to find out how long the brake Pedal return spring is?

MarcDeSoto

I need to know how long the brake pedal return spring is and how long some other springs are supposed to be, such as the clutch return spring, the accelerator return spring, and the transmission spring.  The Parts Manual just gives a part number, and to my knowledge, they don't sell new return springs for these cars.  Can someone measure their brake return spring.  I have a 48 DeSoto.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I read some more and there is a bell housing to transmission gasket on Dodge cars with fluid drive and a manual trans., but I looked in my S-11 DeSoto Parts Manual and there is no mention of a bell housing to transmission gasket.  They even show a picture of the transmission gasket kits and there is no such gasket on the 48 DeSoto.  Maybe I lucked out, unless Dodgeb4ya says I'm wrong!  

On my 1948 Dodge w fluid drive: The only 2 places I had leak transmission fluid was from the round flange base and the crazy open hole near the top.  Maybe yours didn't have the hole? Mine had a gasket with a split. If all your surfaces were dry when you took it apart maybe leave it as is?  Hard call..

IMG_5268 leak hole.jpg

IMG_5270 tran leaks.jpg

I think you mean Bryan.  I'm Marc.  My M-5 trans doesn't have the extra hole in the back of the back of the bell housing.  The gasket set above is for a manual transmission with or without FD.  The gasket kit for the semi auto trans has no bell housing gasket.  I still don't have an answer about the return springs.  Does anyone still make replacement return springs for the brake pedal, hand brake, etc.?

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Marc,

My 1948 Chrysler Royal - Fluid Drive didn't have one on it when I removed my Transmission and changed the Clutch out. I did not put one back in either.

I have had no problems or leaks from that in 10 years. I would think you are good to go.

Tom

• Like 1

My brakes are still apart, just waiting or a pair of rear wheel cylinders to arrive, so I'll check tomorrow when I'm at my shop.  According to AB's website it's the same p/n for Chrysler and Desoto. Do you need length of front or rear or both?

• Like 1

• MarcDeSoto changed the title to Is there any way to find out how long the brake Pedal return spring is?

Not sure if the Desoto and Chrysler have the same configuration for the brake return spring but if yours looks like the spring in the picture I added here, than it might be 8 1/16" long.  My clutch return spring is 9 7/8" long

brake return spring.jpg

• Like 1