Timing Chain and Sprockets

Matt Wilson

The cam gear hubs changed too according to the parts book..don't know why or what's different.

18 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The cam gear hubs changed too according to the parts book..don't know why or what's different.

Uh-oh, good thing you mentioned that.  I didn't order a different cam hub when I ordered my timing set a few years ago.  I'd better check to see if my old one that was boltwd to the original single-row timing set will fit the new (NOS) double-row cam sprocket.  Thanks for pointing this out!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  I received a new cam sprocket and new crankshaft sprocket (NOS, actually) from Vintage Power Wagons, who had sold me the first set of parts 4-1/2 years ago.  They arrived at no charge.  Jens was the one who took my call, and he said they have occasionally seen NOS sprockets that must not have gone through final machining and don't fit right.  I must have gotten some of those in the first go-around.

I tried them out this evening, and the new camshaft sprocket fits the chain really well; the new crank sprocket, not so much, with visible gapping between the chain and the roots of the sprocket teeth (see first photo), although the two sprockets could actually fit within the chain and clear each other (unlike before), so that's an improvement.  So I tried the previous crank sprocket on the chain again and it fits very well.  Between the new cam sprocket and the first crank sprocket, it looks like I have a viable timing set (second photo).  I guess I won't know completely for certain until I install the parts on the engine, but I have high confidence today things are right again.

I asked Jens if Melling makes timing sprockets, and he said no, only the chain, so a completely matched set won't be possible, but I'm ok with that.

Screenshot_20220124-233458-401.png.9d82d01eaea44783bb190e03dbc747b2.pngScreenshot_20220124-233728-747.png.acb4c1bad14448e7530e4cc476d45967.png

Edited by Matt Wilson
  • Thanks 1