Hood lifting and Installation 49 Pilothouse

Our painter laid down a nice grey pearl paint job on this 49, we need to handle the hood and install it without damaging the fresh paint or panels,

does anybody know the best way to lift these hoods. or how they  actually handled them on the factory assembly line. any help or ideas much appreciated.

20211230_093255.jpg

20211230_093237.jpg

20211230_093248.jpg

• Like 1

Safest is going to take at least 3 people.  All edges need to be taped including the cowl and fender tops and especially the hinge/center section on both sides. Since the wing sections need to be up for bolts, it'll take one person on each side to hold a wing with one hand and support the center section with the other and a third person to guide and stabilize the center section into place and install the bolts.

When I did mine there was no pristine paint job to worry about but I did it myself.  I tied a rope around the hood assembly with the wings up and wrapped the rope around the handles so the rope wouldn't move fore or aft as I was lifting it.  One hand on the stainless grill and one hand under the center hood strip...lifted it and set it in place.  Certainly if I had a new paint job involved I would tape around the landing points to avoid paint damage.  Regards. 

Seeing that lift that is in the picture....I would tie the hood assembly open as described above...roll the truck from the lift... hang the hood from the lift arms.....lift the hood assembly....roll the truck under the hood....lower the hood into place. 

I was able to heave the hoods on the '48 and '49 by myself, but it would go much smoother with help.  I rigged some pilot studs on the cowl and the baffle, covered the cowl and fenders with old blankets, taped up the hood edges, folded the hood halves vertical and used the latch handles to lift and carry.  I had a platform that I made for another project that located my knees right about at the top of the grille panel, so I was able to lift the hood by the handles by putting my hands at my shoulders, plant my knees atop the grille panel, then tilt the hood towards the cowl, aiming for the pilot studs.  Because of back injuries, I would not attempt that macho maneuver today, but the pilot studs and protecting the paint are still workable.

I built a lifting tool for a one man installation.

I taped the joints....but be careful.....use low tack tape for those tight areas...don't want to pull any slow curing paint spots up.

The tool is designed to manipulate the center piece front to back. I'm 6'1, strong, and could hold it over the engine bay.

I'm not sure its for everyone, but handling the 3 part hood from the center is the key. 

the lifter:  two pieces of plywood cut to the profile of the hood center, spacer blocks (2x4's), screws up through the hood ornament holes into the 2x4, and a cross piece of plywood across the back, with a 2x4 to catch the back. it gets the hood on and over the engine bay. The rough spots are taped, the landing area is covered with a blanket.

I've done this twice. Is it genius? Hell no.....its just what I thought of at the time because I work alone. 

48D 

Edited by 48Dodger

nice looking paint!

this is one reason why i’m glad my truck is dinged, dented, with poor paint.  i’ve pulled the hood several times with no worries about paint issues.  and my truck is a medium duty, so taller than the 1/2 ton through 1 ton sizes.  plus i’m short.  still have no problem getting the hood removed and then back on the truck.  i do zip-tie the handles together with the wings in the open position, which makes setting the hood in place pretty easy.  but, if i had excellent paint etc, i’d need at least one helper.

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Wait till the paint cures out...best piece of advice I could give.

Best advice  yet.  Especially since taping the edges of uncured paint could be a disaster!

Good news is modern urethanes cure quickly.

After reading all the good advice on the subject, I think mine will get wrapped in furniture pads and lifted with straps with my little electric hoist from the trusses.

• Like 1