Time to talk exhaust and it's gonna have to be custom

bkahler

I ended up buying the entire exhaust system from DCM.  The "kit" will come with two exhaust down pipes with flanges, a custom made Y pipe, muffler and tail pipe.  The kit is more or less the 2" standard kit that he sells with the addition of the Y pipe and the additional front down pipe with flange. 

The two down pipes won't be welded to the flanges but will be flared so the pipe can't be pulled from the flange.  Once everything is installed I will weld the pipes to the flanges.  Also, typically the original down pipe has a bend that kicks it slightly towards the right frame rail, this bend is being eliminated.  The plan is for me to install the two down pipes and arrange them so the run parallel to each other.  If they need slight bends in them I'll figure out what's needed and have a local shop make the needed bends.  

I guess the bottom line is I've purchased a kit that will need some tweaking to make everything fit together :)

It's already been shipped so my guess is I'll have the parts in hand later this week.  I'll post pictures on my build thread as the exhaust system installation progresses.

Brad

• Like 1

Exhaust system arrived today :)

One thing I've never been disappointed about with DCM Classis's is how well the pack shipments.  Amazon could learn a whole lot from them!

Overall I'm very happy with the parts supplied.  There was one detail that apparently got overlooked and that was adding the flanges to the top of the down pipes.  The idea was I would be able to bolt the down pipe flanges to the exhaust manifolds and the pipes would hang in place and I would be able to move them around side to side for best fit.  I would then weld them in place when I was happy with the installation.  Fortunately it shouldn't be too difficult to have a local shop flange the pipes for me.

With luck I'll be able to start the install this weekend.  Here's hoping...... :)

20220112_163532x.jpg.22424d38a429cdc7312460dc5a77a257.jpg

• Like 2

I would recommend you rethink flanging (really flaring I think).  The original pipes stick into to manifold thus preventing exhaust from directly hitting the gasket.  Greatly extends gasket life over designs that don't have that feature.  Can the welds that hold the flanges on be cut?  Die grinder and thin cutoff wheel can do really precise cuts.  That would allow you the movement needed and easy enough to reweld. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kencombs said:

I would recommend you rethink flanging (really flaring I think).  The original pipes stick into to manifold thus preventing exhaust from directly hitting the gasket.  Greatly extends gasket life over designs that don't have that feature.  Can the welds that hold the flanges on be cut?  Die grinder and thin cutoff wheel can do really precise cuts.  That would allow you the movement needed and easy enough to reweld. 

Thanks Ken.  I hadn't really thought about the dynamics of how the exhaust works in that area.  Makes sense though.  Your comment prompted me to dig out the remains of the exhaust system I had with the truck, here's a picture of what you're referring too.  Currently the flanges aren't fastened to the down pipes.

20220112_204912.jpg.113097a8d5e17acc2c62ad0d4e8a2ee6.jpg

It looks like I'll need to use baling wire or something similar to hang the pipe in place while I'm trying to fit everything.  Not the end of the world, just a minor inconvenience :)

Thanks!

Brad

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 10:26 AM, bkahler said:

I'd like to hear an audio of how that exhaust sounds!  Why don't you record a short video of the engine running and put it on YouTube?

Sorry for the delay. I found a couple of videos I took right after I got it installed. One is at idle. One has it revving up.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, nkeiser said:

Sorry for the delay. I found a couple of videos I took right after I got it installed. One is at idle. One has it revving up.

That truck sounds great! 

Getting the stack over to the driver side definitely took some plumbing.  Could you post a picture of the exhaust side of the engine?

Quick question.  I'm really close to finishing the muffler and tail pipe installation and I noticed that there are two holes for the spare tire hanger bolt.  For 1/2 ton trucks which hole is used?  The last thing I want to do is block the hole with the tail pipe!

Thanks

20220208_185615.jpg.804e4f1cbe1268ba95862b9faad461ae.jpg

12 hours ago, JBNeal said:

The two half tons by the house that have carriers use that in-board hole.

Thanks!

I'm hoping the final install will have the tail pipe closer to the frame rail which would uncover both holes but at least I know which one I can't block.  My truck didn't have the hanger when I bought it, I had to scrounge through several junk yards and talk to Larry Frank to get all of the parts I needed.\

Well, the gaskets arrived and.......they don't fit :(

The description said 2" but they measure 1.9 inches and don't fit over the pipes.  The pipes measure about .002 under 2".  I don't know why manufacturers/sellers can't get their information right.  It's frustrating as all get out.

With luck I'll track down some tomorrow.

So much for plan B, now it's plan C time.