Won't be posting here much longer.

knuckleharley

Well,it seems my reprieve is over.

Started feeling REALLY bad. Couldn't eat,couldn't sleep. Come to find out i now also have cancer of the groin,and it is more aggressive than the cancer in my stomach.

i knew something was up when my cancer surgeon called me personally on the phone to arrange new tests and to prescribe me a new (to me) cancer pill. She told me on the phone it was either that or for me to check on hospice care. She also warned me that many people can't take the pill because it makes them too sick.

So,she prescribed them for me,and ironically enough I take so damn many pills now I forgot all about the new ones supposedly making people sick,and damn if I didn't start feeling better! Still have trouble breathing because of all the fluid in my stomach putting pressure on my heart and lungs,but better is better. Take a win and celebrate it!

I was reminded the pills were chemo pills when I saw my surgeon a few days ago and she asked me how I was doing with them.

Have another appointment in a week,and didn't worry about it until I noticed it said "lab work" and "chair" something. If it is more of that liquid drip chemo like I had before,I honestly think I would rather die. If it were to have the same effect on my mind it had the last time,I might as well die because I will be a vegetable sitting in a high chair to be fed.

Making slow progress on my estate and funeral plans,though. New will,paid for the funeral,and am even supposed to get a Special Forces Honor Guard at my funeral because I am a MACV-SOG veteran.

Have a friend I taught gunsmithing to come to the house last week and take away almost all my guns and all my reloading equipment and gun-smithing tools. He now has a Firearms Manufacturing License,and is going to sell them for me and give me the money.

Putting my 51 Victoria back on the road next week so I can drive it around with a "For Sale" sign in a window. It is the only antique car I have with an auto trans. Can't drive a standard shift car anymore since I pinched a nerve in my left hip. Hell,I can't even get into the passenger side of a car or truck because I can't raise or bend my left leg.

Who says getting old ain't exciting?

I have no real problem getting into my 3/4 ton GMC pu from the driver side,though. Running boards and tall cab with wide doors.

Paying the funeral expenses,registering a new will written by a lawyer,and arranging the Honor Guard were the biggies,though. I  highly recommend you all handle your funeral expenses and legal work while it is still a luxury and not a necessity. You can always change it later if necessary. The important thing is to HAVE ONE. Unlike most of you,I don't have any living relatives,so there won't be much fighting over my estate anyhow,but I can rest easier now knowing all the cash it generates goes 50/50 to Feline Hope and St.Judes Children's Hospital.

• Sad 1

At age 83, infected with lyme, near deaf, and now struggling with covid, I read your courageous  account with great interest and full respect for your candid reports. Your name is on my prayer list. May God provide. 

Paul 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time.  I noticed you were a MACV-SOG veteran.  The only one I know (now deceased) is George R. Givens.  He retired as a Captain and went by his middle name, Randy  Ring any bells?

I do hope that the medics can keep your pain under control and keep the faith.

Larry

I had to look it up. Thanks for your service @knuckleharley

Military Assistance Command, Vietnam – Studies and Observations Group (MACV-SOG) was a highly classified, multi-service United States special operations unit which conducted covert unconventional warfare operations prior to and during the Vietnam War.

Established on 24 January 1964, it conducted strategic reconnaissance missions in the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam), the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam), Laos, and Cambodia; took enemy prisoners, rescued downed pilots, conducted rescue operations to retrieve prisoners of war throughout Southeast Asia, and conducted clandestine agent team activities and psychological operations.

The unit participated in most of the significant campaigns of the Vietnam War, including the Gulf of Tonkin incident which precipitated increased American involvement, Operation Steel Tiger, Operation Tiger Hound, the Tet Offensive, Operation Commando Hunt, the Cambodian Campaign, Operation Lam Son 719, and the Easter Offensive. The unit was downsized and renamed Strategic Technical Directorate Assistance Team 158 on 1 May 1972, to support the transfer of its work to the Strategic Technical Directorate of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam – part of the Vietnamization effort.

Edited by keithb7

1 hour ago, lonejacklarry said:

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time.  I noticed you were a MACV-SOG veteran.  The only one I know (now deceased) is George R. Givens.  He retired as a Captain and went by his middle name, Randy  Ring any bells?

I do hope that the medics can keep your pain under control and keep the faith.

Larry

Was he a big blonde with blue eyes that was assigned to FOB-2?

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Was he a big blonde with blue eyes that was assigned to FOB-2?

No, he wasn't a very big guy.....maybe 6' 180 or so.  I don't remember the eye color but I know he was not blond.  He is the only SOG guy I knew as he married my wife's cousin.  Thanks for the response and I hope things get better for you.

1 hour ago, lonejacklarry said:

No, he wasn't a very big guy.....maybe 6' 180 or so.  I don't remember the eye color but I know he was not blond.  He is the only SOG guy I knew as he married my wife's cousin.  Thanks for the response and I hope things get better for you.

Thanks for the good wishes.