Value of 1949 coronet project?

AlexL

Hi all,

new around here and mostly ignorant on classic mopars. A 1949 coronet caught my eye, but having trouble placing a number on what it’s worth. Runs and “yard drives”, appears to be solid and mostly original- with what appears to be an old re-spray of the same color. Idea would be to get it into driver status: fix any major rust, mild body work and driver quality re-spray. Wife does upholstery, interior doesn’t scAre me. Any thoughts or opinions on value?

thanks!

EEB6871A-060B-413F-ADED-0ACB3C6380D7.png

4A9DAF33-7604-42B2-AD7C-CE2ACD481DAB.png

9B6774AC-0AB1-4832-AAFD-7E984AC9D1F3.png

C8B979DF-5310-46F4-A8F2-BE1117C79EAA.png

1616D921-6140-4165-AE6B-CF3D9C6C8132.png

D8643E2E-F497-4EA5-91F5-302B15EF11A0.png

I like this car and it's a worthy project for what you want to do to it.  and it's a club coupe!  Most of these cars are the common 4 door sedans.  It sounds like you have some mechanical skills and this would be a perfect project.  Parts are not too hard to find for these.  I'm a bit prejudiced because my first car looked like this, a 1950 Chrysler Windsor six club coupe.   Since you're new to Mopar cars, take advantage of the Chrysler filmstrips made in the late 40s and 50s for MoPar mechanics at MyMopar.com

for example: here's one on your Gyromatic transmission.  https://mymopar.com/mtsc-1949-volume-2-11-inside-the-hydraulically-operated-transmission/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The value is what someone is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to let it go for.  Just looking at the pictures I would not pay more than $2K but would try to get it for somewhere around $1200 (or less).  Take a look at a Hemmings pricing guide.  

You can easily pour a lot of money into these cars trying to get them back to their original state.  But I guess it is a labor of love. 

If you are looking to fix it up to enjoy ... go for it.  If you are looking up to fix it up and flip it ... you will probably lose your shirt.  These old MOPARs don't command the same value as Ford, Chevy, or other GM platforms.

If you like it ... buy it, fix it, drive it, enjoy it.  $15K can easily disappear working on a car like this ... especially if you have to source out some of the work.

• Like 4

It doesn’t matter what brand you buy.

You’re not gonna make money without a whole lotta labor that you’re not getting paid for.

If you love old cars build an old car.

If you’re interested in making money open liquor store.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks Folks! Made a verbal deal with the seller last night ($1000) - was going to go pick up this evening. This morning, another person placed a deposit on the car. Hard to fault the seller - lots of flaky buyers around, my fault for not offering a deposit.

ouch. the one that got away...given you had the room on the back 40 that thing would part out for 5 gr. hell motor alone would have gotten you a thou.I let my Hemmings prescription go. Very few Mopars in there and Im not interested in buying an over valued old Porsche 

14 hours ago, p15-1948 said:

Was this car in/or near Spring Hill Kansas?

It was indeed. Were you the lucky son of a gun to swoop in? Sincerely no hard feelings if you were! Car was listed for months, not sure the chances of another person coming in hours after making a verbal deal, but it apparently happened :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexL said:

It was indeed. Were you the lucky son of a gun to swoop in? Sincerely no hard feelings if you were! Car was listed for months, not sure the chances of another person coming in hours after making a verbal deal, but it apparently happened :)

Nope, I live about 40 minutes from Spring Hill and had been following it for a couple of months.  The guy selling it generally has interesting Mopar stuff for sale.