Took the ‘37 to collect firewood

thebeebe5

The old Ford p/u has been frustrating me by depositing coolant in the crank case. So I didn’t have it available to collect a downed mesquite tree a few miles from home. 
I forced my coupe to earn it’s keep this past weekend.   Just couldn’t let all that nice wood be picked up by someone else.  

Anyone else make their vintage vehicle do hard labor?

FD918A01-0A38-4A56-AECB-CD51C70561D2.jpeg

• Like 5

That sort of thing was very common,even when these old cars were new. There were aftermarket suppliers making pu beds that fit in the trunk area after removing the trunk lid.

Most people back then only had one vehicle,so they had to adapt it so it would do whatever they needed done.

Don't know when those conversion kits stopped being made,but I don't remember seeing them in anything as new as a 1940 car. In fact,most of ones I remember seeing being driven around were sticking out of the trunk area of Model A Fords.

Anybody remember seeing one in anything newer than 1938 or 1939?

• Like 1

Just grocery gettin'.  We like to take the ol' D24 to the farmers' markets when they're in swing.

I'm getting a kick out of the original post, I've lost count of the times potential sellers would tell me how much wood you could put in the trunk of cars I was looking at...   Except in NJ...there it would be how many bodies... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I needed some building supplies and my daily pickup was full of work related things, so the Ol’ Dodge went to work for me. 

IMG_5095.JPG.137ea635fca3a42539c5825e9516eedc.JPG

That sure is a pretty example of the breed!

• Like 1

My wife is basically a contractor. She does all our home renovations, and repairs. She takes our 3/4T diesel, long box extra cab 4x4 to Home Depot for supplies all the time. It's a pretty big truck. I have often thought of using that excuse to buy another old Mopar truck. Tell her it's her truck for her dumps runs and home depot trips. I think that might actually work. Yet she's about 5 '2 ,120 lbs.  Not sure she could see over the steering wheel, reach the clutch and work the manual steering in the parking lot at the depot.

Guess it would be too late to worry about those small details when I had already bought a '48 Fargo. Fixed it up and painted "Heather's Contracting" on the doors. It'd be mine then.?

This is how marriage works when you are 30 years in.

Edited by keithb7

19 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

My wife is basically a contractor. She does all our home renovations, and repairs. She takes our 3/4T diesel, long box extra cab 4x4 to Home Depot for supplies all the time. It's a pretty big truck. I have often thought of using that excuse to buy another old Mopar truck. Tell her it's her truck for her dumps runs and home depot trips. I think that might actually work. Yet she's about 5 '2 ,120 lbs.  Not sure she could see over the steering wheel, reach the clutch and work the manual steering in the parking lot at the depot.

Guess it would be too late to worry about those small details when had I already bought a '48 Fargo. Fixed it up and painted "Heather's Contracting" on the doors. It'd be mine then.?

This is how marriage works when you are 30 years in.

Pilot house trucks are super easy to steer.  She'd have no problem ?