Sisson choke

pflaming

I can't speak to which is "better",but *I* will ALWAYS pick a manul choke over an automatic one. I just like the simplicity and the fact that *I* get to control it.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 3

Installed a Sisson choke on my Coronet about a month ago. Works much better than the manual that was on it. My carb didn't have the lower linkage needed to properly install the manual choke. Was  connected at the upper linkage and due to the air cleaner, the cable came in at an odd angle. Kept jamming either fully open or closed.

Wes

Years ago when they sold real Italian FIATs in this country the dealer I worked for sold a lot of the 124 Spiders.

The truck that brought them in held 9 at a time. When the FIAT guys saw the truck pull up they all ran out to help unload them.

The driver always needed help. I overheard one conversation with the truck driver, "How many of them run?" "5 sort of, the rest we pushed on."

As each car was assigned to a mechanic for it's pre-delivery inspection (PDI) they were handed 4 NGK spark plugs and a set of bumpers.

It seems from the point that the car left the assembly line till it got to the dealership, the choke was never pushed in. Each time the car was moved the choke was full on and no one could tell how many times it had been moved and never fully warmed up.

Once the mechanics pulled out the factory Champions and installed the NGKs they ran well indeed.

The bumpers....well every one of them were replaced at the dealership because sitting at the port in Italy, then sailing across the Atlantic to Panama, through the canal, then up to Long Beach harbor and sitting there for a while caused them all to turn green.

The SAABs however always ran like brand new watches because they were fuel injected and years before so did the carburetor versions. The carburetors had automatic chokes that were reliable.

The point I am getting around to is that the automatic choke was a real technologic break through that Chrysler pioneered.

A savvy driver may prefer a manual choke but to the average driver an automatic choke has very real benefits.

I consider myself "a savvy driver" but I like the fact that when I want to launch on a journey to the market warming the car up is one less thing I have to worry about. The automatic choke on my 49 works very well and my car starts very well because of it and you know what they say: If it works don't fix it.

I was talking with a Mopar buddy and I was describing the idea I had for putting two of the electric choke controls on my exhaust manifold for dual carburetors. There's two spaces for them and Plymouth at one time or another used both.

He said I only needed to use one choke. That one choke on one carburetor would do the job. Hmm

That simplifies dual carburetors a great deal! I'll try it with one first.

I've never had a choke cable that I liked so that is one reason I am loathe to use a manual choke.

I am not saying you can't have a good one made, because I know you can. I've just never experienced a good one. 

• Like 1

The Sisson on my Cambridge works just fine.  But, and this may be important, I don't live where it snows very often.  However, last January we got about 4 inches of snow and I took the Cambridge out, choke worked fine.  Since 4" of snow is about times 4 our annual snowfall and we usually only get snow one day a year I figured that was it, we got our snow for the year.  Then February came along with 7 inches of snow, in one day, and 4+ days without power.  Took the Cambridge out in that too, the Sisson worked better than the electric company, lol.  I know, not much of a compliment, but I had no issues with it either.

In both cases, I did not just fire it up and go, I let the engine warm up some first.  I probably had to double pump the pedal instead of single pump it too.  I don't remember exactly, it's like an autonomous function for me.

Edited by Sniper
I need to proof read

There are two versions of the Sisson choke. The more common mounts behind the carb. 49/52 Dodge and Plymouth used one that mounts in front of the carb. These are much harder to find and worth more. All are very reliable. For more specifics I would ask Rich Hartung. He’s the most knowledgeable I’ve found on the subject.

I ditched the Sisson in our D24 soon after we got it, because it wasn't working.  Installed a manual using a kit from Pep Boys.  That was going on 30 years ago now.  No issues in the interim.  This won't help much - I like the manual choke because I'm used to it.  I replaced the Sisson because I didn't know squat about it at the time.  (I still have it.)  Knowing what I do about it now, I could have fixed the issue and most likely have been trouble free the same number of years, and saying I like the Sisson because I'm used to it.

I've found my Sisson quite reliable.  However I remember that the locking machine screw must have loosened off and the linkage shifted just enough to cause the choke plate to not fully open once. I spend maybe 15 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong.  The choke wasn't even a consideration since it had been so reliable, until I pulled off the air cleaner and noticed the choke plate.  I pulled out my handy home made tool that sets the Sisson in the proper position and then I reset the choke plate and then retightened that machine screw that locks the choke linkage.  

I've always preferred a manual choke.  I feel to be in sync with the engine much better.  Especially in colder climates.  But I'm a bit of a stickler about adding under dash, bells and whistles, or knobs and switches, that weren't there as it rolled off the assembly line.  Otherwise I might switch to a manual choke.  

Overall I've been very pleased with the factory setup. I sometimes give it too much gas from a cold start and manage to flood it; I have to remember that only a light touch will usually bring it to life. I do need to tweak the choke a bit as it can load up a bit as the engine warms up.

I'm super impressed with the Sisson--my car has plenty of bugs still to be worked out, but it starts dependably, even in near freezing temps. It likes one pump of the gas pedal, and fires right up after 1.5-2 seconds of starter. I don't feel the need for a manual choke.