Jump to content

Show your bicycles, sans engines!


pflaming
 Share

Recommended Posts

I reshaped the frame stays and re-centered my lacing a bit. I swapped a couple jamb nuts, and it all finally fits!

 

Now I need to reshape the dropouts so I can tighten the chain. But I did get out and rideit, sloppy chain and all, and the gears were okay.


I used the old tourniquet method to bring the stays in a little closer together.

E9266E53-A4B8-4127-9E9F-53A1523363A3.jpeg.5759b7ce046663de193fed31d808cf34.jpeg
First ride with the new Sturmey Archer hub.

A8DD00DE-BA71-48E4-8149-765C975F4E72.jpeg.b1c7518d66b6402a24ed04443482ccd0.jpeg

 

The chain is too sloppy.

C335B2F2-320C-48F4-BFB6-7864B613A949.jpeg.fc6aa138cf29d0daa04d4602b1fc2564.jpeg
 

She gleams!

720DD941-3989-4727-8D8C-79D3340999B9.jpeg.68b5b18a2ae87c18467edef8aca2132a.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I decided to put the derailleur back on, and lock it in position to use as a chain tensioner and guide. It works pretty well but is really black & ugly. I do have a silver one somewhere that might work but it’s not in great shape in this one is like new.

E476EFEB-84E5-41A9-86BB-CF006763BFDB.jpeg.f7105ec7a1da56aa0f333531b82d31fe.jpeg

 

FC169760-6F89-4F75-AEF1-DCEE71CE44B3.jpeg.aa713769e99c59e08c466ce6f47b770c.jpeg

I was really happy with the way the new hub works now that I got the chain to quit skipping. You can really stand on it in top gear with no hint of frailty whatsoever.

C86501FA-4418-4920-BA15-087473CCE659.jpeg.866b1b5b7fd41e97e83244ff619753c0.jpeg

I had to lock the derailleur in place with a scrap of cable, so it acts as a chain guide and is always in line with the rear sprocket.

F66CA372-3A42-4E74-843E-0B923169D605.jpeg.8ff6bcf502d6e6f441006cbe32ff73d1.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn’t deal with that black monster very long. Yesterday I built a new tensioner from a used derailleur. I drilled the rivets away and removed this stuff.

304A8919-592D-4932-ADE2-41D56E90F3D5.jpeg.62fe962e0cd17672cce4234324029405.jpeg
I ripped up this funky little bracket to get the bushing out.

42E14CBA-DF71-464D-A342-94DEFD4D03BD.jpeg.e89fc83aa6561009b473add9bd69d52c.jpeg

I turned the flange off of it, and then pressed it into this Shimano adapter arm.

6DCBCE88-D4E9-4DC6-838E-010C0E856B1E.jpeg.670520e3a37a4fe2671a4ed194a26439.jpeg

I drilled that little hole for the spring to seat.

 

So here it is on the bench.

883D3278-4688-46A9-A560-0F6E1037F87D.jpeg.ec73bb16f3e73a18120e12a8f6b455d1.jpeg

 

70C46123-5866-4F40-B738-0E95421EE738.jpeg.c2fcde547a363ffb2403a6e9bfa237bd.jpeg

And here it is on the bike.

DB98555B-6E1D-4E30-A9BA-5449EE8DF300.jpeg.bba5a5a84b8db767de104a1ef575712b.jpeg

 

It needs some cleanup and adjustment, but it worked the first time!

9F6305C5-2FFF-4CAF-B62E-DBE5DCDF0021.jpeg.f2398f8c91e9c4319ea3a02fcc5ed507.jpeg

I still don’t have a front derailleur, and I have to move the chain by hand, but I won’t change from high range to low range under normal circumstances.

 

Edited by Ulu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you @cheesy. It’s much easier when you’re working with nice parts.

 

I didn’t know if that was going to work or not. It was a total blind experiment but I was guessing that I could somehow get it.

 

It was a little bit tight to get a perfect adjustment where it didn’t growl, or skip, so I drilled out the other hole and chopped off the hook and thus moved it as far from the sprocket as possible. (It was hot enough out that I decided to work in the office.)


The chrome looks bad because that’s the backside of the original bracket hanger and never got polished before chroming.

182576F9-065E-42CC-9B73-E8724C8F3A55.jpeg.8a596f9f7bddb6b0f907c447e61052d8.jpeg

It doesn’t matter that much because it’s going to rust where I ground it off anyway.

 

This is a much more satisfactory arrangement, And now that is quiet and there’s no skipping. That works well on high or low range.

 

BUT, I should TIG that bushing in place before it gets loose.

 

Edited by Ulu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finished lacing the little wheel that I stripped.

 

It needs some final buffing, decontamination and clear paint.

 

I’m still trying to come up with workable shifters for my Mongoose bike.

 

77E0EF74-3B1A-435F-9DF1-451984FBDD68.jpeg.b8bf1eefb0280f6c4ccf6dcceeff30ee.jpeg

Edited by Ulu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use