Engine paint

fireguyfire

I’ve got my 1940 flathead engine apart on the engine stand, and it still has about 30% of the original paint on it, which we all know is a silvery grey colour when new.

Have you guys found a good rattle can engine paint that is close to the correct colour for these old flathead engines?

2 hours ago, fireguyfire said:

Have you guys found a good rattle can engine paint that is close to the correct colour for these old flathead engines?

I used Motor Coater silver,

happy with the color.

Spray can and pints.

I used bronze Hammerite hammered finish paint.  It somes in silver also.  I selected the Bronze just cuz.  I7 years later it is holding up well.  I believe Hammerite is no longer available in the US, though it is still available in Canada. Supposedly the rustled is hammerite rebranded.  Have used both on various items.  Like the hammerite better for finish and durability.

First item was a 306 heater, the hammerite was about a 98% match to the original finish.

https://www.thepaintstore.com/Hammerite-s/316.htm

The Hammerite that was available in the late 90s/early2000s was really good stuff.  I'm not sure if the later formula is as good.  I read that it was changed due to EPA rules, like a lot of paints for cars.  I use it on my Unisaw and work benches back then and it still looks good.

I used Bill Hirsch’s silver engine enamel. It’s not quite as bright as some of the aluminum paints I’ve seen, but it still matched up well with my silver exhaust manifold paint. 

47 minutes ago, David A. said:

I used Bill Hirsch’s silver engine enamel. It’s not quite as bright as some of the aluminum paints I’ve seen, but it still matched up well with my silver exhaust manifold paint. 

Yep, same here.  Hirsch makes or sells good paint.