Malware attacks

Loren

I just got an email which said I needed to refresh my account on this website.

Of course it had a button for you to click for your convenience.

Never, ever click on a button in a email!

This triggers the installation of malware on your device.

Just delete it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Loren said:

I just got an email which said I needed to refresh my account on this website.

Of course it had a button for you to click for your convenience.

Never, ever click on a button in a email!

This triggers the installation of malware on your device.

Just delete it!

Agree..anything other than a known order with Amazon, Rock Auto, my bank, etc I never click on emails from them.  Thanks.

Yep, if it is unsolicited, just delete it.  Regardless of apparent source.  Resist the temptation to open them.  Although the initial opening of the message shouldn't harm anything, I still delete what I didn't ask for, even "mind-reading" stuff from sites I was looking for.  Most are just advertisements, but the bad actors are out there among them.  Spam filters don't catch everything.   

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Agree..anything other than a known order with Amazon, Rock Auto, my bank, etc I never click on emails from them.  Thanks.

I don’t even click on links from my bank, etc. If they say there is a message for me or a statement ready, etc. then I manually go to the website (I have the website URL saved in my password manager for each account).

1 hour ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Also, for those that follow social media, do not answer those "what car did you learn to drive in? The last food you ate? If you could have only one food to eat for the rest of your life?" and similar posts....  You're just giving your password hints away.

Interesting. I had not thought of that angle.

For all those helpful password hint answers I create totally bogus values, usually not even related to the questions, and save them for each account in my password manager. So I guess I can tell you that I learned to drive in a '63 Plymouth because that is not an answer that I will ever use for a password hint even if they ask what car I learned to drive in.

If I ever forget the password to my password manager, or if something happens to all my backup of it, I am in real trouble.

If I get an email I do not recognize, I first look at it in 'Print Preview', then only open it if I recognize it.  But people also sometimes break into the email account that belongs to someone you know, and so it looks for all the world like the message is from your friend.  Next level of security:  Don't use a Windows Admin account.  Create a non-Admin account for your normal use.  Then if something tries to run an installation process, and you know that you did not initiate that process, just don't enter the Admin password.  It cannot complete the installation, because Windows User Account Control requires that you first enter the Admin password.

Edited by Eneto-55
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

If I get an email I do not recognize, I first look at it in 'Print Preview', then only open it if I recognize it.  But people also sometimes break into the email account that belongs to someone you know, and so it looks for all the world like the message is from your friend.  Next level of security:  Don't use a Windows Admin account.  Create a non-Admin account for your normal use.  Then if something tries to run an installation process, and you know that you did not initiate that process, just don't enter the Admin password.  It cannot complete the installation, because Windows User Account Control requires that you first enter the Admin password.

Similar for MacOS: Setup and use a non-privileged user account for your everyday use. Only use the original admin privileged account for when you are doing admin related tasks (almost never).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...