Tube tires

47ply

Hi,

Pretty sure I have tube tires, but they are in really bad shape.

Can I just put new tubes and tires on it or should I switch to tubeless tires?

If a switch is needed does that mean I need new rims also?

Tires say 6.00-16

Side note, the old tires have aggressive tread on the back, should I do that again?

519067244_4807.jpg.0df9cf8701815274a389e1beba7a9dbd.jpgYou can do

This is mine with p205/75/15 steel belted radials (tubeless). the front sits a little high but I need to replace the coilsprings and lower it a bit.

Either tubes and tires or just go tubeless. If you go tubeless, make sure to clean the inside of the wheel really good. I did mine with a wire wheel and then I painted them to stop any air leaks where the center hub is riveted to the outer rim. It has been working great for over 8 years now. Also check the size of the valve stem hole if you go tubeless, if it is oval shaped get the larger diameter valve stems.

The aggressive tread is probably a truck or snow tire. I would just get 4 of the same unless you are going to drive in the snow a lot.

tire size for radial tires on your car should be P205/75/16 up to P215/75/16

Joe Lee

Edited by soth122003

So just find tubeless tires and rims for it?

I was probably just going to have them put tires on rims for me so i wouldn't have to drive it up there, it still needs a lot of work. 

Hoping for affordable used rims. I'll have to decide what size i want. I prefer more tire than rim, don't want 20's or anything. 

If you are planning to drive modern speeds new rims and tires. Just cruising low and slow keep the old rims and go with radials. Money i suspect will be your biggest concern, if so just do a little at a time. go with radials then later on add the rims. The radials are  a stiffer tire and the rims are a softer steel so it can be possible to bend the rims with aggressive driving and cause problems. But at 40-50 mph mild driving i haven't had any problems yet in over 9 years of driving my P-15.

Joe Lee

I’ve been running bias tube-type tires without tubes for years… 11 years on the summer set and nine winters now on the winter studded knobbies. Stock original rims for both. 

Many thousand miles on each set, with the only problems being a handful of bead leaks, all corrected with a bit of bead sealer and remounting. 

Point of interest… I tried to order a set of 600x16 summer tires last week and my preferred supplier Lucas in Long Beach CA advised they have no stock and the manufacturer has a backlog of 40,000 units (multiple sizes of course). 

Thanks Sniper, much appreciated.

I snagged the last four of this tire in stock, with Fed-Ex ground to western Canada for just over US$50. There were, as you suggested, several options including a summer-tread Coker for $168 each but I like the more aggressive tread of the Kelseys — my heap sees a lot of gravel and occasional mud.  I'll likely leave them on next fall and see how they handle snow. Screen shot below shows "Not in stock" 'cause the four they had are now MINE!

Bonus: I was having trouble locating replacement tires for my '26 Ford T and Summit had a bunch of Firestone 440/450-21s with a reasonably aggressive tread (gravel, mud and snow service again). Four less tires on that shelf now too. Credit card is still smoking...

47D tires Dec-2021.png

26T tires Dec-21.png

• Like 2

Just an FYI, I've just went do the radial tire route for my '40 Plymouth.  I couldn't find any 205/75/16s and ended up buying a set of 215/75/16.  They look great when mounted but then I quickly learned that the width of the tire coupled with the disc brake set up caused the tires to rub the fender really bad. 

I then went with plan B which were the Coker 6.00-16s.  They were a bit more expensive ($168/tire), but fit nicely.  I called Coker originally and were told that it would be a fews weeks to get the tires and that they were going to charge me over $100 for shipping.  I then went to JEGs who had the tires in stock w/free shipping.  It all worked out.

Most I'll ever drive it is a few miles for errands or a car show. Some day i make take it an hour drive to drive in movie, BUT I'd really need to trust it and it's a long way away. Plus the way movies are these days I may never see a new one, but every now and again they show old ones so who knows. Not sure how fast I'd go in this thing but probably not above 40 for a long time.

So with the wheels i have now 6.00-16, what are my tire options please? Like what sizes should i ask for from tire shop. I want cheap as possible. $60 each would suit me fine. Unless you really think i need new wheels for safety/reliability. I do have all four hub caps. I'd take pics but it says file size too large

Thank you!

This is out of your budget, but it works for me. On my '39 Plymouth I'm running 600/16 Coker bias ply look radials with tubes. This summer I did two back-to-back tours of about 1,800 miles. Speed occasionally a bit over 60. It worked very well. No worries.

Pete