Forward is difficult but reverse is easy

47ply

Howdy,

This might be a dumb question, but gotta learn somehow.

I have a 47 Plymouth special delux.

I've done radiator and front brakes so it'll run and stop.

Now I have a moving issue.

I asume shift down towards the floor is first gear. It shakes and dies most the time. Sometimes I can get it going or maybe get it going and it dies when i let off the clutch. I have to rev it up quite a bit to get it to move.

Reverse is pretty much fine though. 

Pretty sure I know how to work a standard trans as my 48 8n and 56 IH wasn't an issue. And my other man trans cars/trucks.

So 1rst is really hard to move and reverse is fine. So....does it need trans fluid or something or is trans bad or is it less obvious like an issue somewhere else? Trans doesn't whine that I've noticed.

Any suggestions is appreciated, thank you!

There are two up positions and two down positions on the shifter.

Up and towards you is reverse.

Down and towards you is first.

Up and away from you is second.

Down and away from you is third.

It sounds like you are hitting third, which is real common for someone learned a three on the tree shifter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

I've done it but I do not guarantee it is safe, lol.

Dang, haven't thought about that. If you get caught on the road with a dead battery there's nobody out there with 6 volts.  Plus negative to negative, pos to pos without looking at the other stuff.

How 'bout turning on the ignition switch, then touch the hot lead of the jumper cables to the starter side of the starter solenoid just long enough for the engine to start. This assumes the battery still has enough punch to fire the plugs.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I used to use a 12v jump pack. Pos to ground and neg to the stater, key on and twist the dial on the jump pack then work the throttle linkage and turn off jump pack once started.. No adverse effects. now with that said DO NOT use a lith ion  jump starter. These deliver 1.21 gigiwatts to the battery to start 12v systems and will fry your 6v systems.

Joe Lee

• 8 months later...

In 1976 when i was in high school , driver ed class the tex book had a few words about 3 on the tree . when going into 1st & rev hold the palm of your hand toward you . when going into 2nd & 3rd palm of your hand facing away from you .

• Like 2