Aw...Nuts and Bolts and Toothed Periphery Washers!

bkahler

I'm within weeks to a month or so of being ready to install the front fenders, doors, etc.  Years ago I took all of the bolts, nuts and washers that I had saved, scavenged and stolen over the years to a plating outfit in Texas and had them black cadmium plated.  Fast forward to today and I'm now rethinking just how I want to bolt all of this together.  As I've been assembling things over the last few years I've been using these bolts that I had cad plated and many times I've had to deal with rough and dinged threads.  Some of them I was able to chase the threads with a die but a few weren't salvageable.   Now I'm not so sure this is the best approach for attaching all of this sheet metal.  

Does anyone have sources for correct looking bolts and the toothed periphery washers that were used on these trucks?  I found the washers at McMaster Carr but they are $13 for 5 of the 5/16 size ?

It's going to get expensive real fast if that's what washers are going to cost.  

Any tips or suggestions on where to find appropriate hardware?

Thanks!

Brad

Brad if you can’t find a reasonable source,  i used the square washers only in the visible areas and the round washer under the floor mat and other hidden areas 

Maybe that could be more cost effective?

and if we ever meet face to face, leave my floor mat alone ?

• Haha 1

I bought those washers from Fastenal several years ago. I did a quick search on-line and didn’t see them listed currently. If you have a fastenal store locally they may be able to look them up for you. They only had 2 sizes. 5/16” & 3/8” and they came in packs of 100. I don’t remember what I paid for them, they weren’t giving them away, but it wasn’t anything near what McMaster Carr was charging. Here are the numbers off the bags:

5/16”= part # 10229-11704. It also had another # DSTP-0312-16-02. 

3/8” part # 10229-11705. The other # on that size is DSTP-0375-16-01. I don’t think I could find them on-line back when I was looking either, but they had them listed in their catalog. 

As for bolts with the logo, I haven’t had any luck locating any. Some NOS ones have turned up on EBay from time to time. 

• Thanks 1

Not near a real computer so just kind of looking at this on my phone but I found these don't see a price anywhere you may have to call them.

WCL dished lock washers

Catalog

Edited by billrigsby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Brad if you can’t find a reasonable source,  i used the square washers only in the visible areas and the round washer under the floor mat and other hidden areas 

Maybe that could be more cost effective?

and if we ever meet face to face, leave my floor mat alone ?

I was thinking about doing exactly what you suggested, only using them where they show.  I could always use the black cad plated parts in the hidden areas assuming I hae enough good ones.

Later this week I'll be digging out all of the plastic bags with the all of the mounting hardware.  Years ago I sorted through and individually bagged hardware for each fender, door, etc.  Now I need to sift through it all again so I have a better idea as to what I may need to replace.  Thanks for the links, at first glance AMK Products look promising .  I'll reference them as I sort through the plastic bags :)

No need to worry about your floor mat.....I have a NOS mat laying on the spare bedroom floor waiting it's turn to be installed.  ?

12 hours ago, David A. said:

I bought those washers from Fastenal several years ago. I did a quick search on-line and didn’t see them listed currently. If you have a fastenal store locally they may be able to look them up for you. They only had 2 sizes. 5/16” & 3/8” and they came in packs of 100. I don’t remember what I paid for them, they weren’t giving them away, but it wasn’t anything near what McMaster Carr was charging. Here are the numbers off the bags:

5/16”= part # 10229-11704. It also had another # DSTP-0312-16-02. 

3/8” part # 10229-11705. The other # on that size is DSTP-0375-16-01. I don’t think I could find them on-line back when I was looking either, but they had them listed in their catalog. 

As for bolts with the logo, I haven’t had any luck locating any. Some NOS ones have turned up on EBay from time to time. 

David, thanks for the tip.  There is a Fastenal store about 10 miles from me.  If I don't have to work I'll stop by there Friday and see if they still offer them.

Thanks!

Brad

11 hours ago, billrigsby said:

Not near a real computer so just kind of looking at this on my phone but I found these don't see a price anywhere you may have to call them.

WCL dished lock washers

Catalog

WCL was the first link I ran across searching the forum earlier yesterday.  I never knew the name of the washers until that point!  From what I read you have to order a minimum of 100 but as you mentioned no prices listed.  

I'm going to do my bolt/washer sorting this week so that will give me an idea on just how many I might need and what sizes.  

This could turn into an expensive little endeavor!

16 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

....I used the square washers only in the visible areas and the round washer under the floor mat and other hidden areas..... 

......and if we ever meet face to face, leave my floor mat alone ?......

? Well, well, well.....guess at the next judging event at the BBQ we'll be looking under the ol' floor mat, won't we.  

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

? Well, well, well.....guess at the next judging event at the BBQ we'll be looking under the ol' floor mat, won't we.  

48D

Moderator, please remove this from his memory 

43 minutes ago, bkahler said:

The word BUSTED comes to mind..... ?

yeah, he forgets I have a “key to the ranch”

FF76E16A-483D-45AF-86DA-D1C3553DBD35.jpeg.bfe10e109c44f0273d32477eab06ac32.jpeg

LOL,  if he keeps it up, I’ll show him busted! 
(?48dodger)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

These next items aren't necessarily a nut or bolt but are something I need and can't find, at least I can't find anything that looks similar.

I'm talking about the straps that retain the battery cables where they run along the top of the frame rail.  

771335206_Batterycablestraps.jpg.89285865800ee02bd81bb21691b4bd69.jpg

I've found cheap aluminum clamps that kinda look similar but I would prefer steel clamps that look closer to the original style.  I've googled to my hearts content with no luck.  Any suggestions?!

Thanks!

Did you look at Restoration Specialties

Capture.JPG.8c2c121006c36935db4c3b338180ce86.JPG

Catalog

RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY

Capture.JPG.7eb2600579a34877366e4d2092e5cc4d.JPG

Catalog

P clamps as they are called in my industry.  On FEF that area also has a spring around the cable as it lay across the frame to protect it held in place with the clamps.  Also, you want to make sure the clamps used don't damage/wear the cable insualtion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billrigsby said:

Did you look at Restoration Specialties

Capture.JPG.8c2c121006c36935db4c3b338180ce86.JPG

Catalog

Ya know, I was just looking through their catalog a few weeks ago for something else but for some reason it didn't even dawn on me to look in their catalog for cable clamps! ?

Their wire  harness clamps don't look exactly like the originals but at this point they are probably about as good as I'm going to find.  

Thanks for the reminder!

Brad

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

P clamps as they are called in my industry.  On FEF that area also has a spring around the cable as it lay across the frame to protect it held in place with the clamps.  Also, you want to make sure the clamps used don't damage/wear the cable insualtion.

Mark, could you post a picture of the spring you're referring too?  I don't recall seeing any pictures showing that particular detail.

Thanks,

Brad

1 hour ago, bkahler said:

Mark, could you post a picture of the spring you're referring too?  I don't recall seeing any pictures showing that particular detail.

Thanks,

Brad

the parts manual doesn't show it on Cable 8-01-4, so it may have been a mod done at some point

image.png.92d3591f35dc52af1aaec91b3751bf0a.png

Meanwhile when I copied what was there this is what I ended up with (best pic I could find).  I likely have the orignal laying in a tote someplace still.

image.png.7e6d9ce3ecc742be5b04aa812f59e0a4.png

Thanks Mark.

I agree, the spring was likely an owner mod.  It does seem like a reasonable change though.  It's interesting that they show a clamp on 8-01-17 but not 8-01-4.  My guess is because the original routing of the cable takes it to the bell housing and not along the frame like the cable going to the starter.  It's been long enough since I took my truck apart I don't remember any of the battery cable routing.  All I have to go on is pictures I've gleaned form the internet.

Thanks,

Brad

Edited by bkahler

13 minutes ago, David A. said:

My B2B had the spring wire protector as well. 

David

Just when you think you have things all figured out someone comes along and muddies the waters!  ?

It would be interesting to know if there are more out there with the spring....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bkahler said:

Just when you think you have things all figured out someone comes along and muddies the waters!  ?

It would be interesting to know if there are more out there with the spring....

My B3HH has a spring 

2E28FADB-3BCC-4946-9714-7F2C98128175.jpeg.1ca32b89cff39bdc18cbc03b53754236.jpeg

my other trucks didn’t have the springs but most of the cable were changed (undersized) over the years. LOL, seems like it was a practice to replace the cables and battery at the same time 

• Thanks 2