Bias Ply Tires with Tubes

dwest999

I just got a new set of black wall tires for my '40 Plymouth P10.  The tires that were on the car when I bought it were wide white walls with ribs and with tubes.  I tried to date code the tires, but couldn't find a code.  In fact, I couldn't find much information on the tire other than Goodyear and 6.0 - 16.  The tires have a ton of tread left on them, however, I don't know how old they are.  Has anyone seen tires like these?  I am trying to figure how old they are as I'd like to sell them, but don't want to sell old tires that are unsafe (that's bad juju).

Thanks.

Dave

672628909_file(002).jpeg.da53a074ba70173877e834b055309842.jpeg

43 minutes ago, dwest999 said:

I just got a new set of black wall tires for my '40 Plymouth P10.  The tires that were on the car when I bought it were wide white walls with ribs and with tubes.  I tried to date code the tires, but couldn't find a code.  In fact, I couldn't find much information on the tire other than Goodyear and 6.0 - 16.  The tires have a ton of tread left on them, however, I don't know how old they are.  Has anyone seen tires like these?  I am trying to figure how old they are as I'd like to sell them, but don't want to sell old tires that are unsafe (that's bad juju).

Thanks.

Dave

672628909_file(002).jpeg.da53a074ba70173877e834b055309842.jpeg

I have had a set on my car for around 15 years and just replaced them two years ago.  These are the correct tire that was used onthe MoPars. The original had double side white walls both on the outside and the inside. Now only available on the outside. Originally there were two tread patterns, fron was straight rib inthe tread section and the rears had a cris cross pattern for more traction.

Yes they do require tubes  Purcahsed mine from Universal Tire in Hershey they are not cheap but make a color that has a dark color standout at a show.

Also NO NOT use Wesley White cleaner to clen them They recommend Simple Green becasue it will not dryout the rubber.

Also since they are Bia Ply tires put a piece of old used carpeting under each tire, This will prevent them from getting flat spots.  I have done this for 35 years and have never had a flat sport on my 39 Desoto.  firgure around 250-275 for each tire.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Call me or write to me if you want more info on these tires.

Cell 484-431-8157

Home 610-630-9188

desoto2.jpg

Thanks frijolito and Rich.  These tires have white walls only on one side and I don't be they are decades old.  That said, I am trying to figure out if they are safe to put up for sale.  I replaced these with new radials that are black walls (my preference).  The tires look to be in good shape with a lot of tread and no cracking.  Maybe I'll just put them up for sale and advise potential buyers that I don't know the age.  Thanks for weighing in.  Dave  

I think they started putting date codes on tires in the 60's or 70's.  If there is no date code on the tires then they are probable too old to use.  When I got the 47 P15 it had 45 year old bias ply tires on it.  They worked for loading the car on a trailer and once around the block when I got the car home.  The next morning the sidewalls on two of them were blown out.

The general rule on bias plies seems to be, if not cracked up they're okay. Much different from modern radials in that respect. Of course, as they say, your mileage may vary. Sometimes even a half-worn tire can be worthwhile to someone; one set I gave to a friend of mine, a farmer, who put them on an old wagon. A lot of old equipment uses 6-16's and the tread pattern doesn't always matter.

When I bought my 48 coupe in 2007 it had wide whirewall bias ply tires on it.  They were in good shape, good tread, sidewalls etc.  The only date code I could find was near the rim on the backside, and only two numbers: 10/4.  Before 2000 tire manufacturers only listed the month and year of the decade the tire was manufactured.  My tires could have been manufactured in 1994 or 1984 or 1974 .....   In 2014 I replaced them with Coker radials.  I think that it was a wise decision, both for safety and for handling and ride quality.

the industry serving itself first and motorists second recommend a 5 year window.  Notice the key word, recommend.  The radial with no viaible sign of dry rot or tread cracks will continue to perform but being aged could be at the point that internal separation will be likely your problem when it comes to failure.  A radial pull is often the first indicator, but this is a front wheel set position for identification.  The next phase of a radial on a destruction course is the bump., belt separation.  It usually always gives the owner enough warning that belt separation is in the making.  The bump will increase with frequency/severity of bump (at speed) as it gets larger and is spreading over a large portion of the casing.  Ignore this you will either throw a tread, portion of tread or release the air which can occurs in the manner of a blow out but more than not a rapid deflation.  Often the tire will deflate slowly if not driven frequent and is a further sign of internal problems.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams