Thermostat Advice 180 instead of 160 degree?

7 hours ago, TodFitch said:

The bigger the temperature difference between the coolant and the ambient air, the smaller the radiator has to be to transfer the heat energy. By going to a pressurized system to get a higher boiling point on the coolant they could put a smaller, cheaper, radiator into the car. Or, given the era, they could put a bigger V8 engine in the car without having to put a bigger radiator.

All about the LAT!

Speaking of putting pressure cs on older systems, in many cases will not allow pressure to build.  The depending factor is where the overflow outlet is in relation to the cap gasket.  Mine is on the top of the radiator expansion tank.  So A 15 psi cap wouldn't make a difference.  On newer stops the over flow was located to the filler neck, but it was located below the caps sealing gasket.  Newer systems have in the filler neck above the cap gasket.  This location mean

s the cap spring rating must be overcome to allow over pressure to vent.  In fact the location of the vent outlet is the determining factor if to are dealing with an unknown system.  If it's in the top tank away from the inlet neck, or in the filler below where the cap seals it's a non pressurized ser up so basically and cap can be used.  Its when the vent is above the gasket but in the neck is when pressure, and how much there of is a concern.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Well latitude makes a difference as well. No problem getting warm here in SoCal. Bigger issue is staying cool enough.

Jeff ?

I'm guessing so does altitude?  Or is that attitude? I'd get pretty hot if my cooling system overheats or freezes up. Lols!

1 hour ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

I'm guessing so does altitude?  Or is that attitude? I'd get pretty hot if my cooling system overheats or freezes up. Lols!

Of course engine derate is an issue for altitude, as does ambient temp.  At work we have formulae for both and how much to take off for them to keep the customer powered up.

2 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Or is it Elevation?  ?