'48 Chrysler New Yorker.... factory exhaust.....with or without resonator????

48 New Yorker

I’m replacing the exhaust system on my 48 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door sedan - 8 cylinder.  The current exhaust I’m replacing, is not OEM, so I can’t use it as a guide.

Does anyone know if the original factory setup for a 4 door sedan consists of a muffler and a separate resonator (as I’ve seen in a few photos) or does it use a muffler only - with no resonator?

I’m wondering if the resonator + muffler setup was used on 2 door and convertibles only….and not the 4 door sedan?  Anyone know?

I’ve seen both setups in photos and would prefer to go with the muffler and resonator for my ’48.

Again, I’m looking for info for an 8 cylinder, not a 6 which may be different.  See pics below 

Thanks,
David in Santa Cruz

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 10.21.39 AM.jpg

image_57733_612ecadac853a copy.jpeg

My Hollander Interchange book lists # 28 & 29 for 48 Chry N.Y. 8 cylinder.  28 shows 955522 only excluding convertible.   29 is for the convertible and lists 2 mufflers, 956035 front and 956049 rear.

Thank you Bryan, that's just what I needed to know.

Just a guess..... perhaps they used a smaller muffler for 2 dr coupes and converts due to the shorter wheel base and needed a resonator to keep things quiet.

All the Chrysler convertible 8 cylinder cars use the small resonator just forward of the rear axle.

Reason being the converts use a 30% shorter front muffler that barely fits into the side of the convertible "X" member frame.

The exhaust is too noisy with out that resonator.

The rare Chrysler Crown Imperial 145" 8 pass sedan and divider window limo's also use the resonator muffler.

These models are to only ones to use the resonator.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya