Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I noticed the main bearing cap bolts on my 251 are not the same as those on my 230.  See the attached images.  The view of the tops of the bolt heads shows the 251 bolts marked with an "S" and they also have the lines you expect to see on Grade 8 bolts from the hardware store, while the 230 bolts have no lines, but they all say "NC."

 

From the side, it can be seen that the 251 bolt heads are a little thinner and the threaded portion is a little longer than on the 230 bolts.

 

Does either of these bolts look correct?

 

The 251 came out of a '63 Power Wagon and I'm certain it was never rebuilt.  The 230 was rebuilt (by me) nearly 20 years ago, and at least one time before, back in the 50s, according to a tag that was on the engine.

 

As a side question, do you all use lock washers on your main caps?  The 251 had no washers.  I can't recall if the 230 had washers when I disassembled it, but it sure did afterward, as you can see in the photo.  Those look like hardware store Grade 8 washers, and I imagine I they were my doing (whether I was replacing existing washers or not, I do not recall).

20211122_220258.jpg

20211122_220203.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

#120384 lock washers on the main cap bolts were used on most all flathead  engines thru 1954. This after looking at four different MoPar car and truck parts books.

Main cap bolts #864118 was used on most all the 1941-54 flathead six engines also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, JBNeal said:

I dunno about that lock washer, but the bolts might have been supplied by a different vendors over the years.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but I guess I just mainly didn't expect the bolts from the 251 to look like hardware store Grade 8 bolts.  I suppose they're fine, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2021 at 3:54 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

#120384 lock washers on the main cap bolts were used on most all flathead  engines thru 1954. This after looking at four different MoPar car and truck parts books.

Main cap bolts #864118 was used on most all the 1941-54 flathead six engines also.

Thanks for the info.  I guess the 230 was correct with its washers and the 251 was correct without washers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All of my engines used the 1/2" lock washers # 120384 on the main bolts as shown in all my MoPar parts books.

I carefully checked this in 1946-1955 truck and car parts books.

These being..218/230

                     ..251/265

                     ..323 Straight Eights

                     ..306/413 Moly Block Six

I just rebuilt the 413 six using sixteen 1/2" lock washers on the main caps as assembled from the factory.

Even the 331/354 Hemi's show the same #120384 ten lock washers as being used.

So the 251 uses them too.

I rebuilt a 251 in my 1948 DT 2-1/2 I'm sure used washers.

I don't know though if it would matter much other than galling the main cap.🙂

 

 

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

All of my engines used the 1/2" lock washers # 120384 on the main bolts as shown in all my MoPar parts books.

I carefully checked this in 1946-1955 truck and car parts books.

These being..218/230

                     ..251/265

                     ..323 Straight Eights

                     ..306/413 Moly Block Six

I just rebuilt the 413 six using sixteen 1/2" lock washers on the main caps as assembled from the factory.

Even the 331/354 Hemi's show the same #120384 ten lock washers as being used.

So the 251 uses them too.

I rebuilt a 251 in my 1948 DT 2-1/2 I'm sure used washers.

I don't know though if it would matter much other than galling the main cap.🙂

 

 

Good info.  The 251 came out of a 1963 Power Wagon, and perhaps they didn't use lock washers on the main cap bolts by that time.  The rod cap bolts also did not use lock washers, unlike the 230, which came out of an earlier Power Wagon.  And the rod nuts were not lock nuts either, contrary to what someone posted on another website forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are probably right.

I have seem a lot of lster wngines that use just plain hardened washers or none at all.

I'm really only into 1946-54 MoPar cars and trucks.

I know those pretty well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You are probably right.

I have seem a lot of lster wngines that use just plain hardened washers or none at all.

I'm really only into 1946-54 MoPar cars and trucks.

I know those pretty well.

Yeah, that '63 251 didn't have any washers at all on the main or rod caps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot I do have 60's MoPar parts books in another bldg. I'm going to check to see if they show the lock washers just to see.

I'll post the results tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use