1936 Dodge- Plymouth spindle interchange

ratfinkxxx

I want disc brakes on my 36 P2. I am having little to no luck. P2 seems to be a bastard child for brakes.

Rusty Hope website is confusing to me. I have read of some RH customers having issues with their kits.

TSM mfg. shows a kit that fits 35-42 but no inventory due to supplier delays.

Scarebird does not offer a kit but has one for 35-36 Dodge.

I emailed Mark at Scarebird. His response was "I do not know nor have the manpower to find out - sorry.

Mark"

Which is fine, I guess.

The part numbers for 36 Plymouth knuckles are 645067 right side and645068 left.

Can anyone tell me the part  numbers for the 36 Dodge knuckles?

Any help would be most appreciated.

I’ve had no luck searching for 1936 Plymouth conversion parts either. Got a similar response from Rusty Hope a year or so ago. 1936 was apparently a one off year for several parts. At this point I’m keeping the drum brakes and driving slow and careful.

Dunno if this is any help but I have a USA 1936-42 Plymouth Master Parts List, 480 pages, a reprint of a 1946 book by Chrysler Corp. and it confirms the right/left steering knuckle part numbers as indicated by ratfinkxxx above.......

................but the interesting thing is that the addmitedly only drawings, show that the steering knuckles or what I would normally call the stub axles appear to be the same type as used up to and including 1940, ie, with a pair of bolt threads above the stub axle and a pair of large holes cast into the stub axle below the stub axle for the steering arm bolts to pass through..........

..............these stub axles as shown I know are different to those used from 1941 onwards, although the kingpins interchange.

..........and for what its worth the Oz workshop manual issued in 1953 by Chrysler Australia for the Oz 1936-1942 Dodge,Plymouth and Oz DeSoto models(all based on the relevant Plymouth each year) show a 1938 axle & knuckles and state its "typical of 1936/1937"..........

...........I would make a cardboard or better still sheetmetal or plywood template of your stub axle showing the location of the upper threaded bolt holes and lower open holes and send this to Rusty Hope, TSM and Scarebird.......at the very least this may help them to expand their kit coverage.........and answer your questions.......regards, andyd  

I did a search in my 1936-42 dodge master parts book. llo at the pictures and the numbers under column 2-03-3 and you will see the part numbers that you refered to in your posting then look on page 14 a following the rows across. From what I can tell fromthe book it looks as if the 36 willfit on your car.

This is the best I can determine. I have this entire 36-42 dodge catalong on CD if you want a copy.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com 

image.png.8dd202f1ed17248a025816b6a3954fc6.pngimage.png.c3bf039bb390f5c2542907bdef9b5d13.png

Thanks to all who responded. I ended up ordering a kit from https://www.tsmmfg.net/.

Had been out of stock for months but now available.

Kit uses stock hubs and fits a wide variety of early Mopars.

Well, the 36-42 Dodge part list posted by Rich does indeed confirm that Dodge & Plymouth used the same stub axles..........this info would be worth giving to all three of the disc brake adaptor companies.....they may even appreciate it............lol.........andyd