Rear main seal #'s

p24-1953

I know our cars used both types. Is there a known point  when they switched from the rope seals to the newer style?  I have  a leaking rear seal on my 53/hydrive and would like to have the parts before I start tearing it apart.  My local napa is out of either and rock auto dosent have them?  I'm guessing Robert's or dcm is my only option?

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

There are more than three types of rear main seals and it depends on the engine number as to which you use.

https://bestgasket.com/rear-main-seals/#chrysler

I see several with my engine  year and size. Is there a way to determine off the engine number?

Only sure way to get the correct seal is to look at yours before ordering.

There is also a possible oil leaking area at the back of a HY-DRIVE engine....the two engine to torque converter oil passage  O-rings located between the rear face of the engine block and the HY-DRIVE adapter plate.

Just some extra info?

• Like 1

My 1941 plymouth with the stock 201 cube engine had the neoprene seal instead of the stock rope seal but the previous owner had installed the neoprene seal without either of the 2 different shaped side seals..........I had a full Best brand gasket set but had to order the rope seal separately and then after teardown found I didn't need it as it had the neoprene seal and that really wasn't the issue...................lol................after installing the correct side seal it still had a small leak but no way like it was previously.......so I'd suggest checking first or order all 3 types of seal to have on hand b4 teardown..........lol.............andyd      

• Like 2

5 hours ago, p24-1953 said:

I see several with my engine  year and size. Is there a way to determine off the engine number?

What is your engine number?  The factory parts manual will tell you what you should of had from the factory and the engine number will/may have a bearing on that.

• Like 1