Gyro-Matic shift linkage

318Polara

Anybody come across any mopar tech film on adjusting linkage? I have upshifts and down shifts in both ranges. I can not reliably move shift lever when car is running. It has worked sometimes on previous test drives just fine. Clutch seems to disengage and engage, motor idle does change when I'm in or out. Dodge manual does not get into lever adjustments to much. I have proper 10w oil in trans. Unfortunately I have little history on car, clutch disc looks good compared to another disc on a spare fluid coupling I have. Not looking to go into the semi auto information, I have read hours of it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

When the engine is running...only time it's hard to shift into high low range?

Same into reverse and grinding?

What year of Dodge?

Only one rod with double nuts to adjust on the linkage if that is the problem.

The adjustment could be on the rod up by the steering gear and firewall or on some at the shifter side cover lever.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I have 1949 Dodge Coronet. After putting engine and trans back in and hooking up linkage I could not get reverse. Had my wife operate lever and run through pattern and noticed rod with adjusting nut would hardly move lever on trans. I put a small set of horse shoe shaped spacers up at the double nut that gave me the movement to get into reverse. Thought I was good to go. Test drove car down driveway, stopped, put in clutch and tried shifting to reverse it would not go unless I shut engine off. Have done more adjustment on that rod and been able to start off in low range shift to second, stop put in reverse and repeat a half dozen times. Then take a longer drive down road, start in low range get 1st and upshift to second press clutch in shift to high range get 3rd upshift to 4th. Stop, and then need to use reverse and it won't shift till I shut off engine. I have done test light test of solenoid and governor and it seems it is working like it should. I will say I did not know there was adjustment at lever on trans, will need to look at that. Like I said before I have little history of car, no idea the last time it drove on the road. This has been a great learning experience and I feel I am close. Love the tech videos and learned a lot, but no mention of linkage adjustments that I can find yet.

Got it working. Went underneath to check clutch disc to see if it had fused to plate. Looks good have a gap took for a ride and  trans works like it should. Don't really know what I did to fix it but my guess is last long ride I took, broke disc free. Next some new front wheel cylinders and hoses. Then some tires, exhaust system and carpet.