End of an era

oldodge41

I made a decision and began saving for the golden years at age 19. Investing too. Some a little risky. Some secured.  When Covid hit I hunkered down and let the bottom fall out. I just kept buying when things were low. Staying the course seems to be working out pretty good. You do need nerves of steel sometimes with stock market based investments. 

I always dreamed of going at 55. Now that I‘m getting close, I am sort of doubtful. Yet I think I probably could. All depends on what kind of lifestyle we want to settle in to. 

Currently I am enjoying my job. At this point in my life I am I pretty sure I need the pace and work tasks to keep me stimulated. For how long? We’ll see. 

At some point I guess a person gets to the point where they have enough. Enough funds and financial independence. Also they’ve had enough working for the man too. I’m not quite there yet. With a little luck and some risk management, I expect my wife and I will be pretty comfortable. Yet who knows? Many things can happen.  Planning for retirement  sort of feels like trying to balance on top of a greased ball bearing sometimes. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, oldodge41 said:

I gave 18 months notice. They drug their feet thinking I might change my mind. My replacement finally starts next week now that I am gone.  I know him, recommended him for the job, and will assist him via phone if needed. I was asked if I would stay a while longer, but if 18 months notice wasn't enough I didn't see them doing anything if I agreed to stay. No hard feelings on either side, we all did what we felt we had to do. 

I gave a bit over a years' notice. I don't think my boss believed me because he's one of those sick puppies that wants 'I wish I spent more time at the office." on his tombstone. When I got the paperwork started with HR, he knew I wasn't kidding. When asked what it would take for me to stay on, I pulled a huge number out of my backside to discourage any thought of them keeping me on.

Damn, they agreed to everything. I thought about asking why I couldn't get a raise for five years, yet I could get an upper tax bracket pay increase now, but held my tongue.

• Haha 2