I did it again

thebelvedereman

Just when I thought I got the monkey off my back , I had to go out and get another one lol, just picked up this beauty about an hour ago, haven't even seen it yet, I really hate and discourage buying cars off the internet without being able to look at them, but this guy was a veteran, and it is an absolutely Rock Solid Arizona car, little bit of surface rust from baking in the Sun and someone in the past painted over the original paint with a paintbrush LOL but that's it

20211117_194040.jpg

• Like 7

Old cars are a serious disease. Impossible to cure and only owning one(or more) will stave off the separations angst symptoms.  And of course make sure you don't get too rich. Good looking car.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

2 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

Just when I thought I got the monkey off my back , I had to go out and get another one lol, just picked up this beauty about an hour ago, haven't even seen it yet, I really hate and discourage buying cars off the internet without being able to look at them, but this guy was a veteran, and it is an absolutely Rock Solid Arizona car, little bit of surface rust from baking in the Sun and someone in the past painted over the original paint with a paintbrush LOL but that's it

20211117_194040.jpg

Looks like you found a good one.

I'm going to learn how to do that one of these days.

12 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Old cars are a serious disease. Impossible to cure and only owning one(or more) will stave off the separations symptoms.  And of course make sure you don't get too rich. Good looking car.

Yeah I just can't kick The Habit , I've tried hard, Mopar has been an addiction of mine for almost 55 years now

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure this one is going to be a Georgia state patrol car, I've been on this kick of doing police cars lately, I've already done a few CHP cars, a few Sheriff's Department cars, the police cars from the movie In the Heat of the Night with sidney Poitier , and a few others, this is a Ford in the picture (yuck) but that's the basic theme I think I'm going for, until I change my mind again by this afternoon LOL

20211118_122217.jpg

Edited by thebelvedereman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

You just have to look in the south, except not as far south as Florida because they're mostly rust buckets with all of the salt in the air

Uhhh,I live in NC.

Every state on the Eastern seaboard has rust issues if you live within 50 miles or so of the coast. There is nothing unique about Fla in that respect.

Just had my rust-bucket 33 Plymouth coupe hauled off to a body shop today to get the body pulled,the chassis sandblasted and any cracks welded up before repaint. The whole bottom of the body is pocked with rust holes and all that is going to have to be redone.

Was planning on doing this all myself when I bought it. Even bought a body rotissiree to make it easier for me to work in a good position on any of it.

Then I can down with stage 4 lymphoa,and that killed all those plans. Right now,at a MINIMUM,I want it preserved so it doesn't get any worse than it already is. The body shop that hauled it off is the same guy who is s...l....o....l.....y putting my 37 Dodge 1.5 t  4x4 back on the road,and he does good work.

I bought a rustbucket 56 DeSoto to get the 330 hemi and 2 speed auto trans for this car. Might even be able to use the rear,but if not,finding a posi rear that will work shouldn't be too much of a problem,even though I am going to insist on a Mopar rear. No part on this car will be newer (originally) than 1956,with the possible exception of the rear end and maybe disc brakes up front.

I am even going to use a period 6x2 intake with Stromberg carbs. Plans are to paint it flat black and have medium-white wall tires on it,with big in the rear and little up front. The rims will have "full moon" disc hubcaps,and the wheels will be painted red.

Don't let the photos fool you like they did me when I bought it and paid someone to bring it to me. It is a lot rustier than it looks. On the upside,it is pretty complete other than the engine and trans.

I have had the hots for one of these things ever since I saw the first one at a drag strip in the early 60's. That one was competition orange with a complete J-2 drivetrain. It may have been the first "show car quality" hot rod I ever saw that wasn't in a magazine.

Chances are you will see if for sale here a lot sonner than I will want to sell it. The guys on this board will get ALL the "first shot buys" at anything I own that is Mopar related.

My lymphoa had disappeared and I was cancer-free for a couple years,but it is back now and I will be finding out how bad it is some time next week.

L Front.jpg

L Rear.jpg

Edited by knuckleharley

18 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Uhhh,I live in NC.

My lymphoma had disappeared and I was cancer-free for a couple years, but it is back now and I will be finding out how bad it is some time next week.

Sorry to hear that. Just when I get down about having a lingering cold that's keeping me out of the garage..others have more urgent issues.  Will be praying for you..

• Like 3

22 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Uhhh,I live in NC.

Every state on the Eastern seaboard has rust issues if you live within 50 miles or so of the coast. There is nothing unique about Fla in that respect.

Just had my rust-bucket 33 Plymouth coupe hauled off to a body shop today to get the body pulled,the chassis sandblasted and any cracks welded up before repaint. The whole bottom of the body is pocked with rust holes and all that is going to have to be redone.

Was planning on doing this all myself when I bought it. Even bought a body rotissiree to make it easier for me to work in a good position on any of it.

Then I can down with stage 4 lymphoa,and that killed all those plans. Right now,at a MINIMUM,I want it preserved so it doesn't get any worse than it already is. The body shop that hauled it off is the same guy who is s...l....o....l.....y putting my 37 Dodge 1.5 t  4x4 back on the road,and he does good work.

I bought a rustbucket 56 DeSoto to get the 330 hemi and 2 speed auto trans for this car. Might even be able to use the rear,but if not,finding a posi rear that will work shouldn't be too much of a problem,even though I am going to insist on a Mopar rear. No part on this car will be newer (originally) than 1956,with the possible exception of the rear end and maybe disc brakes up front.

I am even going to use a period 6x2 intake with Stromberg carbs. Plans are to paint it flat black and have medium-white wall tires on it,with big in the rear and little up front. The rims will have "full moon" disc hubcaps,and the wheels will be painted red.

Don't let the photos fool you like they did me when I bought it and paid someone to bring it to me. It is a lot rustier than it looks. On the upside,it is pretty complete other than the engine and trans.

I have had the hots for one of these things ever since I saw the first one at a drag strip in the early 60's. That one was competition orange with a complete J-2 drivetrain. It may have been the first "show car quality" hot rod I ever saw that wasn't in a magazine.

Chances are you will see if for sale here a lot sonner than I will want to sell it. The guys on this board will get ALL the "first shot buys" at anything I own that is Mopar related.

My lymphoa had disappeared and I was cancer-free for a couple years,but it is back now and I will be finding out how bad it is some time next week.

L Front.jpg

L Rear.jpg

So sorry to hear, I recently lost my father to cancer of the esophagus, he fought it long and hard , and he never gave up, it seems like it's in everything these days , the water, the food, medication , just about everything ?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

So sorry to hear, I recently lost my father to cancer of the esophagus, he fought it long and hard , and he never gave up, it seems like it's in everything these days , the water, the food, medication , just about everything ?

Well,I am an Agent Orange vet,and was medievaced from VN early in my second tour due to what they were then calling "Tropical Acne" in 1969. Couldn't wear web gear or a parachute harness,so I couldn't stay in SF. I hated the regular army so bad I got out a few months later even after they offered me a promotion if I would re-enlist. Around 1977 Agent Orange became a "thing",so the VA sent me off for a week at a cancer clinic in New Orleans for tests. When the tests came back,I became one of the first Agent Orange vets. Been fighting it ever since,but it became Stage 4 Lymphoa about 3 years ago,and they gave me two years to live. About 6 months after the chemo and radiation,my cancer tests started showing up negative.  Were negative for over a year,but suddenly the last one came up positive. I  go see the cancer doc next week to get the low down on what is happening,but I think I already know.

Can't really complain. I have had a good,long run and for the most part,have been healthy and active. Now I am old,and this is the sort of thing that happens to old people.

10 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

My new ride got dropped off about 10 p.m. last night, I can't wait to go out and start playing with it , of course it's pouring rain right now

good deal, keep you off the street and out of trouble for a spell...only things I saw for a D24 at Moultrie was a center dash and it was not in best of shape and damaged on top of that...there were two  hood ornaments....the one I use for door stop is pristine compared to the ones on their table.

• Like 1

Good luck to Knuckleharley!

I remember when some guys my Dad knew took a Dodge like the one thebelvedereman just got to a "Destruction Derby" at Saugus Stadium back in the early 1960s. Seems like a shame now. There was a very good looking 1940 Oldsmobile in that derby too. All the cars at that time ended up in the scrap yard on Monday morning. So it was like the racing scenes in the movie "On the Beach" literally there was no tomorrow.

Being from Southern California, I also remember the Powell Bros. Pick up trucks when they were new...correction...when they were being sold.

The Powell truck of course was made from 1941 Plymouths salvaged from SoCal wrecking yards in the 1950s. It is estimated that they sold as many as 2,000 or 3,000, at least that was the count from the salvage operator that supplied the Plymouths. They had to be very cheap because the 1955-56 Fords and Dodges were pretty nice trucks when new and they were much cheaper than cars at the time. When you cruised Bob's Big Boy Drive-In in Toluca Lake the car to have was a "Route 66" Corvette, a 1956 Ford Pickup with the wrap around rear window, a Chrysler 300 or a James Dean 1949 Mercury. A Powell wouldn't make it. You had to park that on the street and walk into the restaurant. lol

On 11/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, oldodge41 said:

knuckleharley,

I admire your attitude!

I thank you for your service!

And I love your vision for that coupe!

Thank you! I was planning on building the "every day hot rod driver" that I lusted after when I was a teen. Then again,isn't that really what we are all doing?

BTW,have an update on the cancer. Sorta.

Cancer doc looked at all my test results from the second PET Scan in a month,and tells me there are positive "things" (I fIorget the word she used). Too many "positive things" for the cancer to be returning,so she scheduled me for another PET Scan to see what it tells her before she knows what to say and do.

Well,she said more than that,but I have no freaking idea what any of it meant,so I kinda dozed off. Really,all that I needed to  know was when to show up for the PET scan. Everything else is out of my control.

It does sound better than what I was told after the last one,though.

In addition to all that crap,I managed to pinch a nerve in my left hip somehow,and would scream in pain like a little girl every time I tried to stand up or walk. If there is anything that hurts worse than that,I don't even want to hear rumors about it.

Went to the hospital,and spent the next 5 days hooked up to a morphine drip,and all the morphine did was make the pain almost bearable.Didn't even sleep the first 3 days. Had to sit in a chair because getting in and out of bed or swinging my legs over the side to use a urinal had me screaming bad words.

The oddest thing about all this is it is my ex and her sister that are hauling me around free,buying me a hoodie to keep warm in the hospital,bringing me food,etc,etc,etc,and it is a 80 or 90 mile round trip to go to that hospital to visit me after they get off work.

Both want me to move in with them so they can take care of me.

The ex called me on the phone tonight to let me know she was bringing me a Thanksgiving dinner she cooked for me.

Scares the hell out of me.

Home now and the pain is bearable,and I am even able to walk some and go up and down steps,but I have to be VERY slow and careful. Can't even bend my leg enough to put my pants on. Have to lay them in the floor and use a pair of VERY long needle nose pliers to slip them up over my leg. Even that is hard because I can only raise my leg up maybe 2 inches before the screaming starts.

You can bet your bippy that I am VERY careful with EVERY step I take.

No tap dance contests in my near future.

• Like 3

I hear ya on the pain @knuckleharley. I had a herniated disc in my back. Sciatic pain down my legs. Brutal chronic pain. I was about 35 at the time. I was literally screwed. When I was on the path to mentally  get past this crap, I'd try getting up and out of the house.  I remember shuffling my feet like a very old person with a walker. I literally recall crawling to the toilet on my hands & knees. I was a mess and scared for my future. I was the main bread winner and I had young kids at home. Bills and a mortgage to pay. I tried physiotherapy, acupuncture, drugs of all sorts. Even opiate based prescriptions. Luckily for me I had no trouble with addiction. Nothing worked it seems but time and rest. I remember it took quite a while just to get out of a vehicle. Move 1 leg halfway out. Stop wait 15-20 secs. Move it again. Pause again. Repeating until I was fully out. Took a few minute. Pauses were necessary to avoid a blackout from searing pain. In time, once I became a little more mobile Advil was my daily helper. It took me about a year to get somewhat feeling normal. I never abused my back again. I don't help people move to a new home. No lifting much of anything without thinking about a better way. Leveraging things and using gravity to assist. I was very proud to get my flat head 6 engine block into a pick up truck bed, and out again at home, by myself. Using techniques and leverage. Not hurting my back nor lifting much at all. Massive steps of improvement compared to when I was crippled up. 

I sincerely hope the best for you and your cancer remains dormant.  Keep on doing what you love. We like seeing you coming here. 

Yeah,VERY similar pain levels. Make you want your mama to come make it feel better.

I have had pulled muscles in my back several times,and have dislocated both shoulders so many times I just pop them back into place myself. All that hurt,but it wasn't anything like that pinched nerve in the hip.

Not going to go away anytime soon,either. Like you did,I am just going to have to be VERY careful how I walk and get into and out of cars. Nothing is going to heal this but time and good luck. Sometimes you just can't fix something. You have to wait for it to fix itself.

Knucklehead,

Sounds pretty bad but that maybe your getting over the hump, sure hope so.

I had similar lower back issues on 3 occasions and feel for you. Last time I was just leaning over the sink brushing my teeth and boom I was clutching whatever I could get my hands on a I went down. Doctor gave me muscle relaxers last time and that rest got me moving slow. Then tried a Doctor Ho's device that my niece had that sends mild electricity from 1 pad to the other pad and you adjust the amount of current. Just sticking those pads on either side of my lower back really seemed to help drop the pain level and stimulate the recovery based on my previous experiences. It's called Tens therapy if you haven't tried it yet.

Keep positive and posting for me it cleared up and my backs been fine for about 2 years now, wishing the same for you 

16 hours ago, Veemoney said:

Knucklehead,

Sounds pretty bad but that maybe your getting over the hump, sure hope so.

I had similar lower back issues on 3 occasions and feel for you. Last time I was just leaning over the sink brushing my teeth and boom I was clutching whatever I could get my hands on a I went down. Doctor gave me muscle relaxers last time and that rest got me moving slow. Then tried a Doctor Ho's device that my niece had that sends mild electricity from 1 pad to the other pad and you adjust the amount of current. Just sticking those pads on either side of my lower back really seemed to help drop the pain level and stimulate the recovery based on my previous experiences. It's called Tens therapy if you haven't tried it yet.

Keep positive and posting for me it cleared up and my backs been fine for about 2 years now, wishing the same for you 

I first hurt my back on a parachute jump in 1964. Hurts like hell,but it is nothing compared to a pinched nerve in your hip. I had no idea that level of pain even exhisted. Morphine drips wouln't make it go away,just reduced the level of pain to bearable as long as I didn't try to stand up.

Even now,I can walk ok as long as I remember to not use my left foot first going up or down steps,and NEVER try to bend the knee. I can pick my left leg up maybe 2 inches from the floor before I start screaming. Sitting here in the computer chair is ok,but I can touch the top of my left thigh witch my hand it it feels like I am getting an electric shock,and the top of my leg burns like it is sunburned.

Trust me,I am going to be VERY careful to do everything I can do to help it heal.  AFAIK,the only thing that will heal it at this point is time and me being careful to not stress it. At this point I wouldn't try to run if the house caught on fire.

Never had anything like this before,and hope to never have it again.

• Like 2