Hub socket (2 1/4" 8pt)

Dunkin

Howdy,

Hope everyone is well.

My truck has been sitting through one of the most miserable heat driven summers I can ever remember and when I finally went to take my 1947 2 ton truck for a drive 2 months ago I found the brake pedal reached the floor.  I noticed fluid leaking from the passenger front wheel and removed the wheel.  My plan is to rebuild the wheel cylinder, but I have not been able to locate a 2 1/4" 8pt hub socket anywhere to remove the drum.  Was this a Dodge only tool?  Can anyone enlighten me?

Regards,

Roman

1947 - WHA48 2 ton truck

I made my own tools for the odd size parts, buried in the links at the top of the page, once you drill down, you can see some files.  The top one might be of use.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/know.htm 

• Thanks 1

8 sided hub nut sockets are still available through many tool suppliers. Check with OTC. I got one of theirs for a 1 ton project. 

I did a quick search. It seems the smallest octagon socket they have is 2-3/8" Are you sure of the size of your wheel bearing nuts? I believe the 1 ton truck rear hubs require a 2-9/16 socket. OTC 1905, like this on on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O845XQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I made my own tools for the odd size parts, buried in the links at the top of the page, once you drill down, you can see some files.  The top one might be of use.

Correct, it is easier to make this screw-on dust cap tool but the 1-tons have smaller hubs than the 2-tons.  Using a piece of paper and cardboard, a template can be made by cutting an approximate hole in the paper, then whittling it down to fit over the cap, then transferring to cardboard for a heavier template.  I had the juevos to operate some Texas-sized slip-joint pliers fitted over the cap, but covered the cap with a shop towel to keep the cap from getting chewed up.  I would not recommend using a pipe wrench as the jaws will just eat that cap for breakfast.

additional information - homemade socket collection

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

8 sided hub nut sockets are still available through many tool suppliers. Check with OTC. I got one of theirs for a 1 ton project. 

I did a quick search. It seems the smallest octagon socket they have is 2-3/8" Are you sure of the size of your wheel bearing nuts? I believe the 1 ton truck rear hubs require a 2-9/16 socket. OTC 1905, like this on on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O845XQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 

I was unsure if I measured it properly, so I used a caliper and it measured 2.25".  My only thought is to buy the 2 3/8" socket and hope it's snug enough to get that hub nut off.

12 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/know.htm 

Unfortunately I am not much of a fabricator nor do I have to tools necessary to make my own tools.  If I can't find a solution though, I will take the diagram to one of local fabricators. 

8 hours ago, JBNeal said:

Correct, it is easier to make this screw-on dust cap tool but the 1-tons have smaller hubs than the 2-tons.  Using a piece of paper and cardboard, a template can be made by cutting an approximate hole in the paper, then whittling it down to fit over the cap, then transferring to cardboard for a heavier template.  I had the juevos to operate some Texas-sized slip-joint pliers fitted over the cap, but covered the cap with a shop towel to keep the cap from getting chewed up.  I would not recommend using a pipe wrench as the jaws will just eat that cap for breakfast.

additional information - homemade socket collection

Using channels locks has crossed my mind?

Edited by Dunkin

10 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I'm guessing this might be my best option at this time.

use a drift and a hammer to tap it counterclockwise, it will back off.  then, when you reinstall it, don't use a tool, just finger tight.  mine have never had an issue since i initially used that method to remove them when i purchased the truck in 2007.  nearly 10k miles later, the caps stay where they should, and i can remove them without tools.

• Thanks 1

I missed that it was a front wheel, so the smaller size makes sense. A Channel Lock/slip joint pliers is the go-to tool for the front nut, as they usually aren’t all that tight. If it has a lock nut that is too tight for pliers, use a chisel and hammer against one of the points to break it loose (reverse for tightening). Once the lock nut is off the inner nut should come off easy. 

30 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I missed that it was a front wheel, so the smaller size makes sense. A Channel Lock/slip joint pliers is the go-to tool for the front nut, as they usually aren’t all that tight. If it has a lock nut that is too tight for pliers, use a chisel and hammer against one of the points to break it loose (reverse for tightening). Once the lock nut is off the inner nut should come off easy. 

yah, they shoudl be THAT tight.  Wrap it good in duct tape and put a channel on it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2021 at 3:57 AM, Merle Coggins said:

I like this idea, thanks!

I have seen this wrench in a couple junk yard  Dodge trucks including one in a 2-1/2 ton I bought....

Pretty handy...not too sure what all it does or models it's used for.

1 to 2  Ton Front Wheel Grease cap Tool (2).JPG

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I have seen this wrench in a couple junk yard  Dodge trucks including one in a 2-1/2 ton I bought....

Pretty handy...not too sure what all it does or models it's used for.

1 to 2  Ton Front Wheel Grease cap Tool (2).JPG

I have a couple of them, I think they are for 1 ton up to maybe 3?

Capture.JPG.409b1b3c44cc16fb0d125bd8d366a3ca.JPG

Vintage Hub Wrenches Gallery

Capture.JPG.6fcc99158cd56b4d74655186b1d37848.JPG

Edited by billrigsby
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:51 AM, billrigsby said:

That's pretty cool.  Never seen anything like those wrenches before.  I was able to remove the hub cap with an oil filter channel lock and the rest was a piece of cake to take apart.  I have now found that finding brake cylinder cups are virtually impossible to find now a days.  I called 10 different truck and auto parts stores to no avail.  I had to order them thru DCM to get the correct sizes.  I actually ordered a few extra sets to have for the future shall I need to rebuild again.

Edited by Dunkin

48 minutes ago, Dunkin said:

That's pretty cool.  Never seen anything like those wrenches before.  I was able to remove the hub cap with an oil filter channel lock and the rest was a piece of cake to take apart.  I have now found that finding brake cylinder cups are virtually impossible to find now a days.  I called 10 different truck and auto parts stores to no avail.  I had to order them thru DCM to get the correct sizes.  I actually ordered a few extra sets to have for the future shall I need to rebuild again.

Most parts stores dont stock the parts. Brake cups are a good example, they come in boxes of 10. So they wont bring in a box to sell 2 or 4. But you could order the whole box if you had a part number. I remember refilling the brake parts bin when i was in parts 25 years ago. Common then. 

2 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

Most parts stores dont stock the parts. Brake cups are a good example, they come in boxes of 10. So they wont bring in a box to sell 2 or 4. But you could order the whole box if you had a part number. I remember refilling the brake parts bin when i was in parts 25 years ago. Common then. 

I picked up several blue metal Napa containers with an assortment of brake parts from a store that shut down last year, but unfortunately it did not have a 1 1/4" or a 1 3/8" cup in it.  I can't seem to even get a part number from my Napa/Smith's store.  Auto stores want you to buy the entire cylinder now.?