Thanks to this site, all those participating, and a quick introduction.

cdecker

Hello Everyone!

I am posting this to say thank you! I just joined the group about 10 min ago, but have been using it for a few months for references. My great-grandfather bought this '48 special deluxe brand new off the dealer floor. It was my dad's first car and the first vehicle I ever turned a wrench on. I am now the proud owner of this car. She has a odd story. My father sold her to his best friend in '67 when he enlisted in the Army. Then friend sold to another friend etc. My dad hauled cars as a owner-operartor for close to thirty years. While making a delivery, he stumbled upon his old car in the early nineties.( yes all the vin #'s match the bill of sale) He and I spent many hours taking the car apart, preparing it to become a chevy powered sleeper. Well he decided to restore her to original, as he had befriended a gentleman well respected in the LaSalle community. My parents headed up the restoration and it was completed in 2000. The whole family thorughly enjoyed this piece of history, unfortunately my father passed several years ago and the Plymouth sat for near five years. In the past several months after now having the time to tend to this machine and thanks to a lot of the  information contained on these forums, she is running again! I still have a ton of work to get her back mechanically safe and sound. The car has 28k original miles and still carries the majority of the stock components i.e. brake shoes-real fun pumping those getting this car to stop!! Thanks to y'all I have now found suppliers of parts to keep this vehicle one the road and a renewed sense of pride in keeping her a family affair.  Thanks Chris

D16729AB-97CD-47E3-997A-9CC4F56C2188.heic

• Like 4

Hello Chris and welcome,

That pride you have isn't going to go away. Every time you tackle another problem you will remember all the great times you had with your dad working on the restoration and in all probability all the good stories he had about learning to drive it. My computer program won't let me open the picture but I will take the word of Neil that it is a beauty. Keep us updated and again welcome.  Dave

• Like 1

Welcome and nice ride.

Brake peddle should be high and firm, no pumping required so sounds like that should be a priority. Probably seeping a bit somewhere.  plenty of info here under the technical menu. Brakes - P15-D24.com and Pilot-house.com

Brakes don't compare with modern disc setups but properly adjusted and maintained should require no pumping.  Getting the adjustment correct can be a finicky process and needs to be correct before a proper bleeding can be done.  It takes a bit of patience to get correct but these systems were the better ones compared to gm and ford systems of the same Era.   

Welcome and good luck with the car. 

Nice car. Welcome to the best place in the universe to learn more about your old Mopar. 

I agree with other comments about the brakes. When in good order and set up properly, they are adequate for braking at typical speeds the car was designed to travel. 

Keep an eye on the master cylinder fluid level. Check if often until you can be sure it is or isn’t losing brake fluid. No second chances with a single reservoir master. 

Edited by keithb7

• 3 weeks later...