Re installing engine and gearbox

Bryce Mcclintock

Hi guys I will be putting the engine and gearbox back into my 52 cranbrook soon .when I removed them I took the gearbox off first before removing engine from car only because i was using the rafters in roof to hoist engine out and didnt have access to an engine crane and wanted to eliminate as much weight as possible . When i took gearbox off it was extremely hard to get a spanner onto the top mounting bolt of gear box on the selector side theres very little room and so have a feeling it going to be difficult to get it properly tightened again .my question is can i bolt the gearbox up to engine before installing and slide in in as one ? On a buy eye inspection it looks like the gearbox  is too wide to slide threw between the mounting member and gearbox tunnel and needs to be installed after engine ? Thoughts ?

I do have one now . Just dont want to bolt it all up and find it wont fit threw and have to take it apart again is all and know that top mounting bolt for gearbox will be much easyer to tighten up if i can put enging and box together ouside of car . Was just simply wanting to know if anyone had put the engine and gearbox back in together or if they need to go in separately .

I've pulled a few engines from '51-'52 Plymouths and always done so with the transmission removed.   I also raised the rear of the car higher than the front to help with angles.   If you cut the head off a couple of bolts that have the same thread as the trans-to-bell housing bolts, you can use them as a guide pins to make transmission installation easier.  I've used the upper left and lower right bolt holes for the pins.  Once you have the trans held onto the bell housing with 2 bolts, you can then unscrew the guide pins and replace them with bolts.

• Like 2

The transmission needs to be removed for R&R of engine on a P23.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Cannot use the word "trans" anymore?
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, JerseyHarold said:

I've pulled a few engines from '51-'52 Plymouths and always done so with the transmission removed.   I also raised the rear of the car higher than the front to help with angles.   If you cut the head off a couple of bolts that have the same thread as the trans-to-bell housing bolts, you can use them as a guide pins to make transmission installation easier.  I've used the upper left and lower right bolt holes for the pins.  Once you have the trans held onto the bell housing with 2 bolts, you can then unscrew the guide pins and replace them with bolts.

Maybe my OD was different but on my P15 I used both the top holes with cut off bolts for guide pins. Couldn't get the left upper one out because it was hitting the top of the trans. When I did it again a few weeks later I used both pass side ones. So just watch your clearance on them....