wheel seals continued

harmony

Some time ago I posted here regarding wheel seals for my C38, 1948 Chrysler Windsor. After some diligence and persistence I weeded through all the “misinformation” on the internet and found what I was looking for, after multiple cross references until I got at least 2 p/n's that showed the same dimensions.

I was looking for inner and outer rear wheel seals as well as a pinion seal and redi-sleeves (speedi-sleeves) for all of them. I ordered everything in advance knowing it would take 6 weeks to get everything. Once everything arrived and I pulled the old seals out, unfortunately the inner seal OD was off by a mile. According to my parts catalogue the inner seal should have an OD of 2.437. But my inner seal has an OD of 2.69 just shy of a 1/4” difference. I've tracked down the correct seal from SKF (13892) as well as Timken (450776) and since NAPA had the SKF seal in their inventory I've ordered a couple.

So I'm curious why?

I've read in past threads here that guys have had issues of the same when ordering from suppliers, only in reverse. They needed the 2.437 one, but the 2.69 is what was sent to them. 

While googling (I know, never trust it too much) , but I did come up with something that caught my eye. In a few cases when inner seals were listed, it was noted “ not for heavy duty differentials.  Did Chrysler make a heavy duty differential, that might have used a bigger inner seal?  There is no mention about a heavy duty differential in the manual or in the parts book. All the other seals fit. I haven't seen any numbers on the differential housing, but on the gear cluster housing on the passenger side there is 354 stamped. In the parts book it says that there is a 354-1 ratio available for my car so that sort of makes sense. On the drivers side there is a couple other raised numbers. 1115941-9 below it there is a 51. Looks like there was a number in front of the 51 and another number after the 51, but they have been ground off.

One possibility is that at one time during it's life the ol'e girl had her differential updated with a newer differential. When googling the Timken seal number 450776, I noticed that it could fit a 51-53 Chrysler. But I didn't go down that rabbit hole to confirm that. I remember Keithb7 had a 53 Chrysler and he posted a YouTube video about replacing his wheel seals. Perhaps Keith will read this and that OD of 2.69 may ring a bell with him. However everything around the differential looks like it's 1948 factory. My leaf springs are wrapped. Were they doing that after 1948? One oddity is that the differential has a drain plug on the back casing. It's an Allan set screw. It's possible that someone drilled and taped that drain plug into the casing along the way though.

I also have another oddity. Regarding my axle shims. On the passenger side I have one .015 shim. On the drivers side I have 3 shims, .030, .015, and .0125. That seems strange. As the book says it's best to divvy up the shims equally as possible side to side. Even if I move the one .015 from the drivers side to the passengers side, I still have a difference of .0125.

Unfortunately before I pulled everything apart, I didn't check the axle end play on both sides to see if they were within tolerance .003-.008.

I haven't intended to remove the gear cluster, only replace the pinion seal and add a redi-sleeve. Could it be that there is something amiss inside causing the shims to be stacked to one side so much? I mean it sounds fine and runs great, so as the saying goes  "if it ain't broke, don't fix it”. So should I put the shims back just the way they were and as long as my axle end play is within tolerance, call it a day?

• Like 1

about the drain plug on the pumpkin. What I thought was an Allen drive or sq drive didnt fit anything I had. Found a Kens tools 'dogbone' that had multiple fitments and did the trick. Matching up oil seal IDs can take multiple tries. Its best to search the ID measurement.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2021 at 9:56 PM, harmony said:

Some time ago I posted here regarding wheel seals for my C38, 1948 Chrysler Windsor. After some diligence and persistence I weeded through all the “misinformation” on the internet and found what I was looking for, after multiple cross references until I got at least 2 p/n's that showed the same dimensions.

I was looking for inner and outer rear wheel seals as well as a pinion seal and redi-sleeves (speedi-sleeves) for all of them. I ordered everything in advance knowing it would take 6 weeks to get everything. Once everything arrived and I pulled the old seals out, unfortunately the inner seal OD was off by a mile. According to my parts catalogue the inner seal should have an OD of 2.437. But my inner seal has an OD of 2.69 just shy of a 1/4” difference. I've tracked down the correct seal from SKF (13892) as well as Timken (450776) and since NAPA had the SKF seal in their inventory I've ordered a couple.

So I'm curious why?

I've read in past threads here that guys have had issues of the same when ordering from suppliers, only in reverse. They needed the 2.437 one, but the 2.69 is what was sent to them. 

While googling (I know, never trust it too much) , but I did come up with something that caught my eye. In a few cases when inner seals were listed, it was noted “ not for heavy duty differentials.  Did Chrysler make a heavy duty differential, that might have used a bigger inner seal?  There is no mention about a heavy duty differential in the manual or in the parts book. All the other seals fit. I haven't seen any numbers on the differential housing, but on the gear cluster housing on the passenger side there is 354 stamped. In the parts book it says that there is a 354-1 ratio available for my car so that sort of makes sense. On the drivers side there is a couple other raised numbers. 1115941-9 below it there is a 51. Looks like there was a number in front of the 51 and another number after the 51, but they have been ground off.

One possibility is that at one time during it's life the ol'e girl had her differential updated with a newer differential. When googling the Timken seal number 450776, I noticed that it could fit a 51-53 Chrysler. But I didn't go down that rabbit hole to confirm that. I remember Keithb7 had a 53 Chrysler and he posted a YouTube video about replacing his wheel seals. Perhaps Keith will read this and that OD of 2.69 may ring a bell with him. However everything around the differential looks like it's 1948 factory. My leaf springs are wrapped. Were they doing that after 1948? One oddity is that the differential has a drain plug on the back casing. It's an Allan set screw. It's possible that someone drilled and taped that drain plug into the casing along the way though.

I might have the same problem. Just bought a "Parts List" for my D24 dated Dec 1948.  None of the rear end lists have 1115941-28 which is the number on my rear end. Hollander Interchange does not list it.  Anybody know what's going on with this?

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

many things are not shown in a IPB when using a casting number as that piece has its own IPN  I believe only in the later years with the 8 3/4 did folks routinely use the last three of the casting number to identify NOT the actual carrier for parts breakdown, but the manner of strength of said carrier.

I also recall in the past when this has come up....there was on that particular Mopar of the era two carriers as one would not allow the bolting on of ring gears in X ratio.  Thus depending on the gears from the factory, or what the owner wanted to change to, what carrier was used.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams