39 P8 trunk latch

KevinF77

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have a 39 P8 Deluxe. I am in need of the trunk latch part that bolts to the trunk floor. I see there are a couple on eBay, but $200 seems outrageous for a rusty bit. Offered the seller $50 (still outrageous), but no interest. Anyone know where I might find one? Alternatively, anyone willing to take a few photos and detailed measurements of theirs, such that I might machine one? Would be willing to make extras if anyone else would like one. 

Kevin.....do you have a pic of the trunk lid lock that your car has?........what I've seen on ebay looks very similar to what my car, an Oz assembled 1940 Dodge has...... which was based on the 1940 Plymouth chassis but with an Oz made body shell......if your trunk lock is what I think it is I maybe able to help..........so have you a pic of your trunk lock?...........andyd  

Kevin........that pic of your trunk lock shows basically the same lock "tongue" as what my car has, however the actual lock assembly on your car appears much shorter, but I'm pretty sure what my car has would be the same, ie use the same style of catch on the body.........I'm not sure if I have a spare lock catch...I'll check....... but I'll take a pic of mine and also measure the catch and get back........andyd

Kevin......my cars lock assembly is much shorter than yours, but the "tongue" and how it "swings" around is the same.........I have taken some pics but my camera is playing up......but I measured the striker plate on my car and the measurements are attached ..........I've also looked at the $199.00 striker plate on US ebay for the 1938-1939 Plymouth thats very rustyand it appears to be the same except that mine is made of brass and does not have the pronounced piece sticking up that the lock tongue would mate with..........making a striker with my measurements would work except the it would have to be thicker to correspond with that shown on ebay.........does this make sense?.............lol.........will try to get my camera working and send pics if I can..................hope this helps..........andyd  

60'shotrodsimg076.jpg

I took some pics but having problem getting the pics loaded.......the striker plate will try to sort the camera out today..........lol......tongue on my car is pointing towards the front of the car, actually its slightly angled "down" at the front..............this pic taken a few years ago just shows the striker plate on the bottom edge of the pic.........sorry its not real good.........lol.........also noticed that your trunk lid has a "hole" which would make sense as the striker plate would sit "into" this hole or recess and then the lock would come around and secure against the striker plate..........my setup is slightly different........will get back asap........andyd

P1000810 (800x600).jpg

Kevin........finally got the pics from my camera........as you can see the lock is essentially the same catch as your car but much longer.....and works in the same basic way, the catch curves around and under the protruding "tongue" of the striker plate, but it would seem that your cars striker plate would be a bit higher or thicker than the 3/16th that my cars striker plate is..........mine as mentioned is brass and I, being a hotrodder got it chromed many years ago.........lol.........hope this helps...........andyd

P1010814.JPG

P1010810.JPG

P1010811.JPG

P1010815.JPG

Kevin, I have a 38 Dodge D9. Basically the Plymouth body with Dodge trim so probably pretty close to your ride. My trunk is a flatback which shouldn't make any difference. Below are some pics. No measurements to give you yet - might add those later if you need them. Have had a recent hip replacement so not getting to go to the workshop yet......soon though.

Mine was missing like yours. Made one up out of two pieces of mild steel. First the bottom flat piece that is bolted to the floor. Then the hook piece. Cut it to rough shape then used bench grinder to tidy it up. Two parts then welded together then ground the joint smooth. Finally had it zinc plated with some other parts for my project. I have a similar sized backing plate under the floor to give it some strength. Don't know exactly what original mounting was like as mine has a completely rebuilt floor but it must be pretty close to the original latch mechanism. The point is, you can quite easily fabricate your own way cheaper than the ripoff epay option. If you need measurements I will get them for you. Good luck.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by sidevalvepete

Kevin.......looks like Petes won the prize.......thats a neat job he has done.........and interesting that his cars lock is a different length again.........in 3 years they did 3 different length lock assemblies but each have the same basic tongue design........bazaar..........lol.........andyd