Weekend work

Sniper

"Many" years ago, Texas was going to go to the State run drive-through mega-inspection station method.  Early to mid '90s.  I don't remember what the reasoning was.  (I'm thinking a la NJ, but don't know if they still do it that way, but they did back then.)  Passed legislation, stations built, solicitation to hire State employed inspectors, etc.  No consideration for small towns that didn't have the population to deem them worthy of a State inspection station, other than reducing the number of licensed garages.  Not only did the places that had been doing inspections raise a stink, but the general public fought it tooth and nail from the get-go.  In part due to the ambiance Los Control notes that we did not want to lose.  There were a couple of garages I enjoyed taking our vehicles to for their inspection.  The stations sat unused for a year or two while the issue was debated (in court, I think, don't remember what the death knell was exactly) then the project was abandoned all together.  Back to my favorite garages for entertainment by the quirky proprietors and their cats and/or dogs.  One had a parrot.

4 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Back to my favorite garages for entertainment by the quirky proprietors and their cats and/or dogs.  One had a parrot.

Yes I feel safety inspections are a good thing. Our shop is honest, if something is not right they will not pass it. So you just check everything yourself before you go. .... Now it is just a social event, old men telling stories while getting the paperwork done.

I do worry about taking my pilothouse in for safety. Everything will be working fine, but my windshield has some de-lamination around the edges showing fog. None of it blocks the drivers vision .... still needs replaced along with all the glass rubber. I really just do not want to change the windshield or rear corner glass myself. Much rather get it licensed then drive it to a glass shop & let them take care of it.

Emission test in other states can be a nightmare.

New Jersey still has drive-thru inspection stations, that are operated by a contractor hired by the state.  The state inspection for cars consists of an emission test ONLY.  You can have bald tires, no brakes, and non-functioning lights, but if the check-engine light is off, YOU PASS!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since my brake conversion is Rusty Hope, I'm adding this question onto this thread. My issue is with the brake hose routing from the caliper to the frame. The only way I could see to go was in front of the kingpin. This seems ok yet the hose then travels accross that surface as you turn and at a full turn, the rotor touches the hose. I could probably tie the hose off with a tiewrap to avoid the rotor but wanted to check here first. then there is the question of the slight rubbing of the hose against the suspension as seen in photo 1. These are photo's of the passenger side.

ph1.jpg

ph2.jpg

ph3.jpg

oh no, not another RH poor instructions issue.  Precisely why I detailed the swap so that any one doing it will know, in adance, what the issues are.

My hose is routed between the upright and the shock.  51 Plymouth

hose.jpg

That's how I started and all's well until you go to a full turn and then there is a heck of a kink in the hose as your caliper comes very close to the upright.

ph4.jpg.d98ffcb94b6ddd3afa0c06bde3f855d3.jpg

Edited by Dansk

I'm using the exact parts that Rusty Hope specified;

Calipers are NAPA 4622/43 from 82-93 Camaro

Hoses are NAPA 36959 from 79-85 Buick Riviera or Cadillac Eldorado

What pics I could find of your hoses look the same as what I have here from NAPA. Have you looked at your hose when you are fully turned to the left?

Edited by Dansk

I am pretty sure I cycled the front steering from lock to lock looking for issues.  I will do it again.  That hose on the rotor is a recipe for failure though.  I believe your kit and mine are not the same kit so that might be the difference?

Edited by Sniper

On 7/9/2022 at 5:06 PM, Sniper said:

Well, I have a pic of my as a sophomore in HS in the background of my profile, my son looks almost identical to me.  The pic of me in the posts, that avatar, is from my second deployment to the Persian Gulf, at sea somewhere, about 24-25 depending on exactly when that picture was taken.  The one of me on the wind turbine, I was at least 42 then.  I am 57 now. 

me.jpg

Geeze 57 is getting up there ?

Could the brake hoses be replaced with hoses with a banjo fitting and bolt on the caliper? 69-88 GM calipers appears to use that style hose. I’m just using Rockauto as a reference. Rick D.

9 minutes ago, 9 foot box said:

Could the brake hoses be replaced with hoses with a banjo fitting and bolt on the caliper?

That is the type of hose being used, problem is the caliper will only allow one direction to mount that hose. 

97-17248A_BOT__ra_p.jpg