Front Rubber Mats for Chrysler DeSoto Dodge and Plymouth's. An Alternative

Tom Skinner

Gents,

I have a 1948 Royal, I bought 15 years ago. It had carpeting throughout. A correct 1948 Royal has a Rubber Mat in the front, and Carpeting in the back.

I went to Vintage Power Wagons recently and found in their new accessories on Page 12 a Rubber Mat for a D37. for $180. It looked close. I bought it. It fits with some extra holes cut and a few patched. here is my pictures. Ebay typically sells these at $300 - $500 . These are brand new. Caveat - one must fit these into their car. They are basically 40" by 58". I worked mine in, it took 2 Days with Gorilla Glue and patience. Well worth the results. Judge for yourselves

image2 (1).jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image0 (3).jpeg

Edited by Tom Skinner
  • Like 3

I have the same problem only on this site.

Sometimes I can rotate the picture four or five times different ways and get it to post correctly.

I've deleted cookies...tried a different browser...studied the issue online...have given up on the problem here.

• Like 1

I only posted this because I have seen over the years some asking about these Mats. The original guy in East Orange New Jersey hasn't made or sold them for decades.

I believe it was told the mold was destroyed after he passed away or some such story. No one could justify a new mold to be made cost wise because demand just wasn't there. At least this is how I recollect the story behind why only rarely you see one on ebay for $400 - $500 range and they are dry rotted and cracked.

• Like 1

Tom, your Royal looks awesome!  I'm having my 48 DeSoto Deluxe bus. coupe reupholstered soon.  I was debating going with carpeting in front, even though my car came with mats instead like yours.  I think you have convinced me to do what you did.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Marc,

Just know that there is some holes to patch and some to cut. Go slow and measure twice and cut once. I cheated and took my carpeting out and used it as a pattern.

I backed up the patches with left over material and Gorilla Glue, then carefully cut patches to fill the few holes that were not needed.

All in all it was a very satisfying job. The car even smells like new rubber matting, a nice change from wool smell and horse hair. LOL

Tom

1.jpeg

Edited by Tom Skinner
  • Like 1

I sure love that mottled beige plastic!

• Like 1