Roof painting and distributor / oil pump connect

pflaming

1, roof painting, how does one paint a.vehicle’s roof so there is no overlap in the middle.

2. must I remove the oil pump to correct the very loose connection between the pump and the distributor shaft?

I would suggest getting the DVD that Kevin Tetz has on painting your own truck. He gives hands on technical and professional advise that will help you and also show you how to save money. I would tell you that I have been painting for years and I learned a lot from watching his DVD. 

You can find his DVD on line.

Roofs, hoods and deck lids will almost always be too wide to avoid an overlap.  The key is to layout a spray plan and select materials that have the correct dry times to avoid a dry overlap.  That means, at least for me, slow reducer and hardener.  layout the air lines so that you can move freely with no wasted motion.  I apply paint on the roof more heavily as that slows dry time.  Pay close attention to the spray pattern and overlap % to avoid a dry center.

Is your loose pump/distributor connection due to a worn slot or tang?  The answer to that determines what needs to be removed.

RE: Painting large, flat panels - I start on one side, work to the middle, go to the other side and continue from the middle to the other side.  When it comes to horizontal panels, I make the last coat wetter than I would dare on a side panel.

As Kencombs says, make sure you are not fighting the air hose.  I lay out 2 hoses, 1 on each side of the vehicle.

I will be painting my 56 Panel in a couple of months, I don't think I will be able to avoid dry spots on that roof no matter what I do :(