LED BULBS

38plymouth

I bought 2 1158 bulbs from ledlight.com to replace my originals. I was hoping for brighter tail and brake lights. My original bulbs operate as tail lights,  brake lights and turn signals. These bulbs don't operate that way.

f I put the bulb in one direction and have the headlights on nothing happens. If I leave the headlights on and hit the brakes the bulb lights up. If I flip the bulb 180 degrees and turn the headlights on the bulb lights up but then the brake lights dont work. The turn signals don't work at all.

According to the listing they should operate like the originals. I have sent them an email to try to find out what's going on here but haven't heard back yet. Have any of you used these type of bulbs and had them work successfully? I have a stock 6 volt positive ground system. 

Edit---> they are telling me I need to buy their load equalizers and splice them into my wiring. I have no interest in doing that. These definitely aren't plug and play for a 6 volt positive ground like they say.

Edited by 38plymouth

Most LED bulbs require 8 volts to operate. You can get 6v LED bulbs,  But be prepared to pay out the nose for Trendy Tax.

The only thing I can suggest is making sure the bulbs are SPECIFICALLY 6v bulbs

Also LEDs draw a lot less current than standard bulbs.  The old style mechanical blinker mechanism depends on the higher current to work, requiring a Solid State Blinker for LED turn signals to operate.

Best of luck!

edit.  I went to the sight you linked and THINK I saw the bulbs you are referring to.  They are listed as working with 6v 12v and both Positive and Negative ground,  So I guess my suggestion is moot.

Edited by OUTFXD
  • Like 1

It's only like $12 for the bulbs and then $6 for shipping but they don't work like the add says. The company will let me return them (another $6 shipping) for credit only. Screw them, I'm disputing the charge on my credit card. It's a matter of principle now. 

8 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Junk is what I found. Waste of time buying these 6V LED's. They would not return my emails. 

Looks like you also used www.ledlight.com.

Just a fair warning that they are selling junk Chinese let's that don't work.

I've played with LED bulbs a lot for fun. I'm stock, 6 V positive ground, generator with the old-style voltage regulator. In general, the products are good for 12 V applications, not so much for 6 V. They would work much better if you are running an alternator as opposed to a stock generator. With a generator and old-fashioned voltage regulator, they flicker annoyingly. It's true what they say about turn signal flasher bulbs. You'll never get the LED's to work with the old mechanical (bimetallic) flasher. They don't draw enough current. Your problem with the bulbs sort of working depending on how they are installed in the socket may also be related to how the wiring is in your car at this point. Lots of times, people get the two-filament bulb sockets wired up wrong in re-wiring work. 

I do have LED bulbs in the dashboard and indicator lights, where they work very well and really brighten up the dash after dark and save a couple of amps of current. Stuff like the high beam indicator, turn signal tell-tale bulbs, radio, they're great and colorful.  The third brake light add-ons are good. But the main exterior lights on the car -- not so much. Not enough of a market for 6 volt, positive ground LED bulbs for the products to really be good. 

The problem I've had with Chinese 6v bulbs is that on two contact bulbs, the contacts are not dots, but elongated, so that when installed they cross over both contacts in the socket. Therefore they are useless.

Pete

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

The problem I've had with Chinese 6v bulbs is that on two contact bulbs, the contacts are not dots, but elongated, so that when installed they cross over both contacts in the socket. Therefore they are useless.

Pete

Yup. This company is a scam. You spend about 12 bucks for bulbs plus $7 shipping. He said he'll take them back but it's going to cost me another $7 shipping, doesn't even make sense. I should have read up more on his company before I ordered. He's claiming he's selling Samsung bulbs but they are just cheap garbage Chinese crap that are unlabeled. He knows these bulbs don't work in a stock six volt system but he still advertises and sells them that way.

I hate scammers.