Question - 1 Ton - Stepped Bore Wheel Cylinders

billrigsby

35 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

Were the wheel cylinders NOS or new production?  Do you have a link, or was it a random eBay purchase?

They are new production from an outfit out of New York (Webco) 

Wheel cylinder set 2 cylinders; Fits Dodge 1 ton Truck REAR 1939-1952

I sent the guy an email asking if he would accept $225 for a set of four.

So the actual purchase went through PayPal not eBay.

I got two that were stepped bores but one of the 1 3/8 inch bores had 1 1/4 inch innards,

the other two were 1 3/8 inch straight bores.

After several non-responsive emails, I stepped it up to PayPal.

Had everything boxed up to return, just wanted a $15 label.

No response so I got a complete refund of $225, not sure what's wrong with people

So basically both of the stepped bores were for the right side,

I have the right rear which is weeping pretty good, so I have a replacement for that.

Once under pressure, if all of the stepped bore cylinders hold

I'll go that route if not I was thinking of using the straight bores on the rear.

Edited by billrigsby
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 2:40 PM, Matt Wilson said:

As for not being needed, I would disagree.  I doubt the factory added this expense vs. a non-stepped bore without good reason.  As someone mentioned, the reason the larger bore is in the rear is because these brake shoes are hard-pinned, and the rear shoes cannot self-energize the way more modern drum brakes do.  The original style 1-ton Power Wagon had this type of brake system through the end of its production run in the late 60's (actually into the 70's for export).

I agree that they were engineered with step bore for a good reason. Dodge was selling these as capable of hauling a ton. I have only had about 400-600lbs in mine (with the factory brakes) and it is a huge braking and driving difference from being empty.  If the goal was to use it as a hauler I would follow everything the original engineers did. If the goal is to drive it with no load, I would be a bit more open to changes.

• Like 1