Jacquiline, My 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe

OUTFXD

Its out of a 76 Dodge Challenger Sport (Cordoba to you and me). Its a Split bench with center arm rest, and locking seat backs and cloth instead of vinyl. 

for $25, No rips in the fabric and came with a box filled with 3 point seat belt parts, I was giddy as a school girl waiting to pick it up.

Me and my kid drove two cities over to get it,  The guy had a Jensen Interceptor in his front drive. His 76 Dodge Charger Sport was being used to Clone a 75 Road Runner.  He also had a 70 Road Runner, a 65 Belvedere and a 32 Alpha Romeo Race car (replica).  We spent more time doing hood rat stuff than driving to his place.

The Next day I broke out the soap and water. I am guessing but I think someone sprayed it down with Upholstery cleaner,  Then never rinsed it off.  a little elbow grease and the white crusty stuff melted away revealing a gorgeous royal blue.

New Bench Seat.jpg

(Sorry for the terible picture, Left half cleaned, Right as Picked up)

Edited by OUTFXD
  • Like 2

Plan is to Reinforce the seat backs and latches, Use a metal loop, connected to the head rest to keep the seat belt in place. Run a plate under the seat posts to anchor the seat belts to (to prevent the nuts being pulled through the floor boards) and have a ghetto, looks not to bad, three point seat belt. a Cloth bench so I dont get seat burn on sunny days, and a center arm rest. In a manner that can be reversable if I decide to go back to stock.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Charging system has one job! Just one! and its not doing it!

Step one, Clean up the Voltage regulator. Removed it. cleaned up the terminals and points, Ran new wires to the generator.

Voltage Regulatoor points 1.jpg

Voltage Regulatoor points 2.jpg

Generator Wiring.jpg

Edited by OUTFXD

No, the alternator is internally regulated, no external regulation required, the old regulator gets tossed. What you see is a 60a fuse for the alternator feed to protect the car wiring in case the alternator had an internal short to ground. Very remote chance of that happening but easy to prevent.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

No, the alternator is internally regulated, no external regulation required, the old regulator gets tossed. What you see is a 60a fuse for the alternator feed to protect the car wiring in case the alternator had an internal short to ground. Very remote chance of that happening but easy to prevent.

Might be opening a can of worms but a fusible link might be more appropriate for that purpose than a 60a fuse. I think the advantage is that in case of a short it's less prone to start a fire because it's the weak link in the wiring and also has a fire resistant covering.

The 60a fuse is most likely too large, I used it because the alternator is rated at 60a and I didn't want a nuisance trip. But I've never seen the ammeter go past half-scale even after a cold start so a much smaller fuse should work. I'll probably drop back to a 30a and that will be more protection for the wiring. I don't see the max-sized blade fuse holder being a fire hazard.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

one of the previous owners installed a universal ignition switch,  in doing so they removed the bit of the dash control panel that holds the stock ignition witch.  Not knowing this I got a NOS switch and tried to install it.  Discovering the issue I just zip tied it in place till I could replace it!

Dash controlls 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tired of the infront-of the-raidiator-electricals.  I replaced the Horn Relay and the Connector block,  added new connectors with Shrink wrap the terminal block was replaced with a small fuse panel with watertight cover.

Horns Before.png

On 6/18/2022 at 2:39 PM, OUTFXD said:

I was kinda hoping someone would comment on the fact that the last picture was a completely different fuel pump  :D

I was going to say, that I ordered my kit then removed the pump "in that order" and found that the kit does not fit my pump. So I bought a new pump.

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2021 at 10:59 AM, OUTFXD said:

I live in Washington state. We dont Actually have monsoons, though technically we are a rain forest.  I isnt uncommon for it to rain a week straight here during the winter. The locals like to say "The monoons have set in".  :)

you gotta be on the coast! Im in the Okanogan where we have BOB (Big Orange Ball) sunshine!! Dad moved us here in the 70's from south Seattle thank goodness. Love your progress, Im working on a 48 Plymouth 4 DR. that's been sitting for 20 years on the ranch. 

• Thanks 1

not really ON the coast,  but  not terribly far from it.Glad your enjoying my posts.  Whats the chance that you will start a build thread and post some pics of your own?

On 1/30/2022 at 5:43 PM, OUTFXD said:

aaaand paint it black.  along with a prime example of why you NEVER unmask until the paint has dried.

Sadly this is all on the inside  of the spotlight where no one will ever see it.  ]

But hey! I got a new pair of socks out of the deal!

Spotlight painted.jpg

hopefully they are wool sox with all that snow your going to need them!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

not really ON the coast,  but  not terribly far from it.Glad your enjoying my posts.  Whats the chance that you will start a build thread and post some pics of your own?

I have done a lot of the same repairs that you have here in the thread. You remind me of my Dad he had the same personality and his car was a 48 Plym coupe that he used to street race in the early sixties around South Park area, he ran a flat six with dual carbs, Fenton exhaust, shaved head, cam etc etc.. I'll be keeping track of what your doing as its right up my alley and skill level, thanks so much for sharing.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 3:56 PM, OUTFXD said:

Finally resolved my starting Problems.   11 months and over $1000 later and the problem waaaaaaasss (Drum roll please)

The Freaking Solenoid.   The FIRST thing I replaced.  In fact I replaced it 4 times.

Someone (Bryan I think) Sent me a link to the parts number for a legitimate 6v Solenoid from Standard.  She starts better than she ever has before.

Thank you all for your time and patience. 

Let my hardship be a lesson.  Shop by parts number,  Parts houses are more than happy to giving you Generic replacement parts.

Man!! I was getting so frustrated just reading your post that I was getting ready to go out in the shop and beat on my own car! I'm glad you figured it out.

• Haha 1