Jacquiline, My 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe

OUTFXD

Might be.  the weather around here as been eclectic.  It was close to 80 degrees on the 4th then it rained for 2 days straight. then it was dry but overcast.  

So who knows what the humidity was like.

I do recall it being awfully muggy a couple of days so that might well be it!

So.  Finally got the new starter I ordered.  Was supposed to get it friday but the driver was apparently allergic to traffic work.  Showed up at 5:05pm.  I was so happy to get it I didnt even yell at the driver!

hicup 1.  The new starter didnt come with the little strap that wraps around the motor and covers the Brushes.   So I took the one off the old starter... didnt fit.  The new starter is about 1/4" larger than the old one. Fighting 80degree weather and a rapidly setting sun I rolled the dice and manuvered the new starter through the shift linkage, Steering collem, Speed-o cable and distributor wires.  No mean feat.  Finally I got it in,  Hooked up the Power leads. Connected the battery that I had been trickle charging all day "just in case"  hit the switch and brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrr.   no change.   Absolutely no change. I have now replaced every component in the starter circuit.

Tried jumping straight from the Battery to the starter,  it struggled and managed to turn the engine like an 8th of a revolution.  I tried jumping the solenoid, no change.  I reintigrated the direct to battery ground to the solenoid to rule out solenoid grounding issues. No change.  I tried jumping it and the brbrbrbrbr just got more insistent. Someone mentioned the possibility of the engine Hydro-locking so I pulled the spark plugs.  No change.

The last of my harbor freight Multipul digit readers was dead so I had my friend drive me to town to buy a nicer one.

Got home, checked the batteries.  Both full charge. Loosing the light so running out of workable time.

I removed the power wires to the cab to isolate the starter circuit from the rest of the electrical system so any faults there would have no effect.  Nothing.

I finally Jumped the solenoid terminals (battery and starter terminals) with a set of jump leads. With the spark plugs removed,  The Additional grounds in place.  a fully charged battery and a brand new starter, it turned over.... weakly.

It defies logic.  I am at an absolute loss.

I guess I can start with yet another solenoid. Check the wires for continuity with my fancy new gadget. Other than that.  I have no clue.

Edited by OUTFXD

A thought that has been nagging at the back of my head, One I am hesitant to speak out loud. 

Maybe the trouble this whole time is the ENGINE is hard to turn over.   I put seafoam in her when I first got her.  But I have only ever driven her maybe 50 miles.   

No idea what soup is in the oilpan or how long it has been there.   I had some concerns the old fuel pump was leaking gas into the oil.

I have a fresh filter and a gallon of full synthetic waiting to go in.   I may just do a oil change on a cold engine and see what happens.

1 hour ago, OUTFXD said:

No idea what soup is in the oilpan or how long it has been there.   I had some concerns the old fuel pump was leaking gas into the oil.

Drop the pan. Why guess as to what is inside or how much crud is at the bottom. Was this a running car when you got it?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SteveR said:

Was this a running car when you got it?

No. But it had anemic looking wires,  bolt on wire ends etc etc.  The guy I bought her from assured me that it was something simple.

3 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

The guy I bought her from assured me that it was something simple.

I've got some swamp... I mean land in Florida for sale, Cheap.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

This came out of the oil pan.  I'm not sure what it is but it smells like paint thinner,  is thin black and not strong on lubrication.

Old Oil 2.jpg

Oil diluted by gasoline? If the engine has been run on that combination.........

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Oil diluted by gasoline? If the engine has been run on that combination.........

I plan on doing  a clutch at some point.  the plan was to pull the engine and put new bearings in at that point.   I take solice in knowing the last time I ran her she was pushing 60psi oil pressure so the bearings aren't completely washed out.

New oil in.  I let it crank for a few seconds with the spark plugs out.

Put the plugs in and buttoned up the motor.  Engine barely turns over when bypassing the Solenoid.

I can turn the engine over by turning the fan by hand.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought her.   My worst fears (Engine seized, Trans Blown,  Underside rusted out)  have came to be naught.  I am happy with my purchase.

as I told the guy when I bought her "There are only so many things that can go wrong with a flathead"

• Like 1

okay,  Got her fired up.  its REAAALLY odd.  

I got her to the point that I can get the engine to turn over if I jump her AND bypass the solenoid (Im buying yet another Solenoid I guess).

She draaaaaaggs until the first piston fires and suddenly she is a whole other creature. Then the engine spins freely until the she begins to idle.  Then she purrrrs like a kitten.

I patched her together enough that I could drive her up the hill and back for a shakedown run.

aaaaaand I kept driving. till I hit the neighboring town.  Then I turned around and Headed back.  aaaaaaaand kept going until I hit the neighboring town on the other side. 

Just driving her makes me happy as a school boy on prom night.

Eventually I begrudgingly drover her home.  Parked her in the garage.  Shut the engine down. Just for s&gs I hit the starter.

bzzzzzzt

I will worry about that tomorrow.

• Like 1

Sounds better. I went thru every page of your post. It looks like you first were using the quick disconnect on your battery ground terminal. Are you still using that?   Never saw later pictures (except of Sam's setup)?

I read where some people had problems with the quick disconnect.

If you get another solenoid I'd try the one I suggested, but it's more expensive.  It's listed as 6V.

• Thanks 1

I ended up Ditching the quick disconnect (literally).  I Tried turning the motor over and it was acting like the battery was dead,  Pulled the quick disconnect off and suddenly I had power.  Hucked it.

• Like 1

Keeping a battery in the back seat and use jumper cables to bypass the solenoid.   Its hinky but it works. 

Seriously happy to get to take her out in some of this beautiful weather!

• Like 2

This morning she didnt want to start.  I thought it was just the regular first start of the day.

My jump leads got so hot they where melting the battery posts.

I let her cool and tried again, same result.

Just grasping at straws I pulled the Oil Dipstick.    and there clearly suspended in the clean fresh oil,  Fine Grey Powder.

Sooooo,  I'm thinking I'm hosed at this point. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

and there clearly suspended in the clean fresh oil,  Fine Grey Powder.

I would still drop the oil pan and have a look at it and then have a good look up inside your engine. Gray powder sounds like ground metal. Perhaps a possible engine rebuild. You might want to pull the head. Something is drastically wrong in your engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally resolved my starting Problems.   11 months and over $1000 later and the problem waaaaaaasss (Drum roll please)

The Freaking Solenoid.   The FIRST thing I replaced.  In fact I replaced it 4 times.

Someone (Bryan I think) Sent me a link to the parts number for a legitimate 6v Solenoid from Standard.  She starts better than she ever has before.

Thank you all for your time and patience. 

Let my hardship be a lesson.  Shop by parts number,  Parts houses are more than happy to giving you Generic replacement parts.

• Like 1