Jacquiline, My 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe

OUTFXD

• 2 weeks later...

F2B8A883-A620-4112-B8FF-4E30FB36F3FC.jpegThought would help. Looks great !

Edited by junkers72
Forgot text
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Time to break out the glass plate and 400 grit sandpaper. Round and round motion. And watch how you hold the part. Even too much pressure on one side can cause the surface to grind off more there.  Depending on the part rotate it in your grip a 1/4 turn for about 5 motions on the sandpaper.  Check where the shiny surface is forming. 

Edited by Bryan
  • Thanks 1

So tore the carb down, cleaned it, dipped it.  Started to put it back together and realized the kids had beat me to the carb,  The Acceleration pump had two check balls in it.  the Power Valve Jet Spring was completely missing. The little U shaped piece that holds the float pin was replaced with some kind of home made thing. Honestly I am surprised she ran at all!  Ordered a new spring as none of the local parts hauses had one. Ended up paying twice as much for expidited shipping than I did for the spring it self.

• Confused 1

So... with the carb torn apart and stuff needed to put it back together in the mail,  and Jacquiline  parked so that working on her would be awkward.  I reverted to type and found something to paint.

originally I was going to paint the inset high gloss black.  But after Matte Blacking the dash I decided that was to much black.  The door trim kinda flows to the dash so I was thinking Continuing the Electric blue would add a kind of flow to the interior... nor its done I am not completely sold.

Glove box raw.jpg

Glove box raw 2.jpg

Glove box door back paint.jpg

Glove box dash raw.jpg

Glove box dash painted.jpg

Glove box open.jpg

Glove box closed.jpg

Edited by OUTFXD
  • Like 2

Thanks Bryan!  No idea why it wont let me post pictures right side up.  I have even tried editing the pics and saving them flipped over with no result.  I *think* it has something to do with camera orientation.  I think I like the gloss black better.  But then I have been watching hot to paint Faux Wood videos and think I want to experiment with that.

49 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

Thanks Bryan!  No idea why it wont let me post pictures right side up.  I have even tried editing the pics and saving them flipped over with no result.  I *think* it has something to do with camera orientation.  I think I like the gloss black better.  But then I have been watching hot to paint Faux Wood videos and think I want to experiment with that.

Ha! Was actually thinking of one of those glue on wood grain applicates but didn't want to complicate it.  Picture software is weird.  MS picture manager will sometimes show it different on the Thumbnail than MS Paint. I think your picture I rotated it with MS Picture Manager.  I do believe cameras have some kind of sensor that knows which way is up..wish it would just stay one way across all programs.

• Thanks 1

You know, there are places that can dip the dash and put a wood grain pattern there.  It's called hydrodipping.

Problem is, you have to pull the dash out to do it.  Then you have to find someone that does it, about an hour and a half drive to the nearest one for me and hope they have a tank big enough.

• Thanks 1

Online there are many U-tube videos on ways to build your own tank to fit your project on the cheap for home hydro-dipping  (graining) parts, dashes, trims, etc. Want to do camo.??

Also there are many web sellers of the films in 1000's of designs including wood grains and while not dirt cheap but not way over the top either for a do it yourself type and will end up very reasonable priced compared to many other ways of wood graining --paints included.

Check them out if at all interested.

DJ

• Thanks 1

The blue in the first photo is dust from sanding her down, I havent washed her as I need to redo the Drivers side.  I had an airline pop on the literal last triger pull of the paint job spraying the entire side of the car with dirt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not really sure what to make of this.  its on the rear suspension cross member between the rear bumper and the gas tank.  The only Idea That comes to me is that somebody tried to weld in a home build trailer hitch AND FAILED.

Trailer hitch.jpg

• Confused 1

I don't think there is any factory brackets there, I would suspect someone welded in a trailer hitch, then years later it was cut off with a torch. 

Not uncommon to see old pictures of cars pulling all sorts of trailers in the '50s and '60s.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Diagnosing Jacquilines harder than normal morning start.  I discover that in the morning the fuel filter is full when I park.  and empty the next morning.  Finding no leaks this leaves me thinking the Fuel Pump is the issue.  Either it has a bad check valve and the fuel is back flowing to the fuel tank,  or (More likely in my opinion)  the diaphragm has a pinhole and is leaking fuel into the oil.

So I order a rebuild kit and remove the fuel pump.  (in that order)

Discovering the OE fuel pump has been replaced with a newer one....

Fuel pump.jpg