Jacquiline, My 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe

OUTFXD

15 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Unless that floor has pin holes or is surface rusted to the point of being too thin no need to cut out and replace. 

The Door sills are heavily rusted,  and a couple small holes in the floor will be patched. I am not replacing the floor pan.  Just a clarification.

48 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

Cowl vent... Hinges?  Any advice on how to loosen these up would be appreciated.  mine are frozen and trying to "Break them free" flexes the metal they are bolted to.

Cowl Vent Hinge.jpg

All I would know is penetrating oil and tapping it LIGHTLY back and forth with a hammer. If there was any slight gap between the pieces maybe tapping a paint scraper blade after oiling.  Be careful, I'm the one that has 2 broke off manifold bolts.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

Cowl vent... Hinges?  Any advice on how to loosen these up would be appreciated.  mine are frozen and trying to "Break them free" flexes the metal they are bolted to.

Cowl Vent Hinge.jpg

BTDT, penetrating oil and patience loosened one up, with some gentle working of it back and forth.  The other I had to heat up with my propane torch, becareful not to start a fire.  But I got both of them freed up, eventually

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 5:19 PM, OUTFXD said:

Cowl Vent Hinge.jpg

I just got mine freed up last night.  I hit it with penetrating oil at least 3 or 4 times over the last week and let them soak.  Last night I sprayed them again and used a pair of channel locks to slowly wiggle them back and forth.  Both broke free and then I lubed them with white lithium grease.  I'll put the cowl back together after I get the weatherstripping back in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:19 PM, bartenderfloyd said:

Both broke free and then I lubed them with white lithium grease.

The problem with grease is unless it gets into the pivot joint you will not be able to use oil for any lubrication afterwards.

Also 'White Lithium Grease' has a tendency of drying out and crusting up. I have literally seen it so bad that I had to use a chisel to remove it.

• 4 weeks later...

I cleaned, Primed, knocked down any dust specs with fine sandpaper, Spot primed, and painted the trunk. I only had black and the bright blue i have been using in the interior so... black it is.

Trunk painted.jpg

Edited by OUTFXD
  • Like 1

The results? Meh.  Spraying a large area with a spray can with a small spray fan sucks.  the results? Terrible for the amount of work involved.  Ended up with tons of dust specks despite all the cleaning I did and the small spray fan made overlapping the passes tough.  looks like some bad dry areas in the paint, but it might get better as the paint dries.  All that said.  its a thousand percent better than it was.

Trunk Paint Before After.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

The results? Meh.  Spraying a large area with a spray can with a small spray fan sucks.  the results? Terrible for the amount of work involved.  Ended up with tons of dust specks despite all the cleaning I did and the small spray fan made overlapping the passes tough.  looks like some bad dry areas in the paint, but it might get better as the paint dries.  All that said.  its a thousand percent better than it was.

Trunk Paint Before After.jpg

Before you get too far there were older posts here about how to paint with Rustoleum paints, using a compressor and a Harbor Freight paint sprayer.   I'm not planning on going the $10K route for painting my car.

• Thanks 1

This was done as an experiment with budget spray paint.  My son got me a new HVLP spray gun and pressure pot for Christmas (I love my kid).  I am holding off using it till I figure out some sort of paint booth (Renting a storage compartment for 24 hours and covering the walls with painters plastic is the current favorite idea).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

I am holding off using it till I figure out some sort of paint booth

I painted a jet boat, car and many motorcycles in the backyard or driveway. Just have to pick your day so weather doesn't work against you understanding you are in Washington. One individual on this site used an inexpensive tarp style carport as his workshop/spray booth and was happy with his results.   Check out his booth and work for some ideas on the cheap

• Thanks 1