Leaving Maine

pflaming

FWIW (and future planning?) they've vastly improved the trail into the "Ghost Trains of the Allagash".  The missus and I went out there last month.  Unfortunately, that means more people, but that's a relative term depending on what you're used to.  Still just short of a mile, but the formerly difficult areas are now planked.  Safe travels! 

7 hours ago, pflaming said:

Cheesy, where in Maine? We were in the Brunswick/Bath area. 

Union, in Knox County.

My daughter failed at fostering cats and now has three of them. Wifey and I are allergic to kitties, so we are staying in Rockland, not too far from my favorite restaurant, the Rockland Cafe. We are also bringing both grandsons along so they can hang with their cousins. As we are taking my wife's Renegade, I may be drinking in the evenings after spending the day in the car with both of those boys.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it's actually in Ellsworth, not Belfast, as I mentioned earlier. It's getting new cedar shakes. We went on Monday. I scored an Optimus 77 camp stove outfit and a barely used Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench. We did drive past the other barn but it was pouring and didn't stop.

Heading back to Illannoy tomorrow.

Been back almost a week now. I needed to get back to work to recover after that last marathon day of driving.

One thing that happened that I forgot to mention. My oldest is a consummate bargain hunter. Her side hustle is prowling thrift shops for bargains, then flipping them online for a tidy profit. Well, her dad also collects bicycles* and she scored a 1970 Raleigh Super Course mixte frame bike for a whopping fifty cents. It was near the upper atmosphere of the Raleigh range that year. I figured that I was supposed to overhaul it for her to use. Nope. I was supposed to take it home.  So, I ended up buy a hundred dollar bike rack to haul a fifty cent bicycle a thousand miles back to Illannoy. Geez.

* I learned a long time ago that it's easier to hide another bicycle in the collection than it is to hide another car or motorcycle.

• 3 weeks later...

Last spring i bought a 1947 Swinn bike. Needs the rear fender and half of the front fender headlight. Paid $75 for it. Not a collector but since it was a Schwin i went for it.  Kids rode it, said it rode great. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pflaming said:

Last spring i bought a 1947 Swinn bike. Needs the rear fender and half of the front fender headlight. Paid $75 for it. Not a collector but since it was a Schwin i went for it.  Kids rode it, said it rode great. 

Good score. I have what's left of my wife's late Aunts' 1946 Firestone, aka, Schwinn. I may have that rear fender in my garage attic and I'm willing to bet that I have the same part of the headlight you're not missing, too. ;) I have a 1947 Monark Rocket with a 1952 ish Bendix 2 speed manually shifted hub that I still ride a bit. It has the original paint that looks like hell, but it followed me home for five bucks, so the appearance is of little concern.

I’m interested in those parts Just to have it complete. I has the original pint and markings, but its so old lt refuses to accept a shine. Even so, I would repaint it. Will likely put a bike mount on tghe front of my  52 Dodge truck and carry it as a conversation piece.  TKS for responding. Its a crazy hobby. Last week I bought a two wheel trailer, cut off of a 52 Dodge truc,k, the bed sides do not have one dent and the tail gate is perfect. Paid $50 for it. 

D902715D-40D2-4019-9F72-2A111EFAE128.jpeg

9FB360B5-0335-4A3C-8A76-8121570AC814.jpeg

Skip link is the type of chain. Probably more commonly known as Skip Tooth, owing to every other tooth missing on the chain wheel and rear cog. Your headlight is very different than what is on my Schwinn. I'm thinking yours might be older than 1947.

Serial number is D98798. A bulb remains in the lamp, will put batteries in and check if it works.  If anyone on the forum collects bikes, I will sell it to them. For me its a fun piece, to another a part of a collection which I respect. 

0DE4AA98-9B93-4700-A943-1749EAA5AC7F.jpeg

4DFA7024-6320-439A-82FD-91D10B6F0D63.jpeg

Here's the 1948 Schwinn catalog. https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1948.html

Man, they had a lot of bikes. Yours looks like a DB97-EX with the optional Springer front fork. The frame and fenders unit in my garage attic is a B307 Hollywood with a Firestone headbadge. Schwinn made bikes for other companies. You can see the different style headlight. I wasn't aware that Schwinn ran both 1/2" and 1" (Skiplink or skiptooth) back in those days. 

The back pages show some Whizzer powered bikes.

The light blue fender in the photo is the one I mentioned. The beat to hell green one is on a 55 Schwinn Spitfire. The reddish one is on my Monark, and the blue one with the Earth Day flag is my wife's Hawthorne she had in high school.

IMG_20211223_114224_734.jpg