!950 Windsor Convertible- Turn Signal Troubles

Jim Neville

Just want to say that this site is awesome for rookies like me after getting my retirement project car. I'am from the Niagara area of Ontario so parts are few and far between. When I got my Windsor it was Negative ground. I have changed it over to Positive like it was when it came off the assembly line. Had the generator redone, the Voltage regulator looked at and also  changed the coil wires. She purrs like a kitten. When I went to check the turn signals the left side both front and back worked. Checked the right side and only the back went on. I shut her down to check for loose wires then checked again and only the right back turn signal would work.  The rest would not work! Before changing from Pos. to Neg. the right worked but the left side was intermittent. The green light works on the dash but only when it's on the right turn. Brake lights, headlights and high beam all work. Weird that it worked for a bit then nothing. I'am not electrically inclined so some of the stuff I have read about turn signals has me scratching my head. I have a shop manual but it's not that detailed on the turn signals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First off, I'll preface this comment with the statement that I don't have a 50 Chrysler and haven't worked on them.

Does it have factory signals or is it one of those clamped to the steering column aftermarket ones?

I have an aftermarket one on my 51 so anything I say is in reference to that.

When I converted to 12v I had to sort out the turn signal wiring.  In the process I took the thing apart to see how it worked.  In my setup there were two sliders that made or broke contact depending on where the lever is.  Those were somewhat cruddy in my case so I cleaned the the old grease out, polished up the contacts,, relubed the unit with dielectric grease and put it back together.  While I was in there I could see what the color the wire was that brought power in and with my meter i could see which wires were connected based on where the lever was.    Based on what you are saying I think you just might need a clean and lube job.

I am out of town this week and next. While I am out send me a private message with your phone number and I would be happy to help in 2 weeks when I am back in home.

The 1949 and 1950 Chrysler Windsor is mechanically the same as the 1949 and 1950 Desoto convertible. I did a near concourse restoration on one. So, I know then too well.

James 

When I was first resurrecting my 49 the signals didn't work at all; after working the stalk back and forth multiple times and general "fiddling" they started working but slowly and intermittently. I kept playing with it and now they great. I suspect it was just oxidized connections in the switch and/or flasher relay. Dirty connections at each bulb didn't help. 

1950 Chryslers have factory installed turn signals.

Possibly a bad light socket ground causing the right side to not work...

I'd pull the lens and with the right T-signal turned on wiggle the bulb...it might start blinking. Try cleaning the bulb socket with a small wire brush with the lights off of course..and check that the bulb is #1154 6 volt bulb is good

Could also be dirty T-signal switch contacts...wiggling the turn signal lever on the right side with the key on might get the right side to light up.

Correct bulb numbers front and rear are 1154.

Make a separate dedicated wire from one of rhe mounting screws to a known good ground.  Also squish the socket a bit oval with pliers so the bulb is tightysecured in the socket.  And if your bulbs don't have the offset mount pins, make sure the brighter element is indexed to the signal and the dim one aligned to park.  The dim element doesn't have enough resistance to trigger the flasher. It will light up but not flash.

Using a jumper wire from the light socket to a good body/frame ground is how I quickly see if that makes the non  working bulb then work.