Check out my Youtube Video on my Plymouth!!

CarWizard

That ship is the "Mayflower:",bubba.

I apologize to anyone who thinks the above may have been a bit harsh or rude. I didn't intend it to be that way,but looking back on it I can see how others might think so.

My intention was to emphatize the Mopar intended connection to America. After all,the Mayflower played a key role in creating America.

When I posted the above,I wasn't thinking about me being a geezer and that was why I knew and remembered that. Of course,no on under 40 or so would make the connection but a history freak.

My apologies to anyone offended.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

Desoto uses the engine with the 25 inch head. The ujoints are ball and trunion with needle rollers in the balls under the leather gaiters.  They, can be cleaned and greased as necessary. Be careful  handling the leather.  Rubber replacements are available but can be a pain to install.You mentioned lots of grease zerks.  You will also find them on the clutch,and brake pedal bushings and linkage and sometimes on the water pump. In the absence of waterpump grease, folks are using outboard motor lower unit lube or wheel bearing grease used on boat trailer bearings.

There is also a short cut for popping tapered axle to hub joint.

Back off the nut about 2 turns, put the cotter key back in.go for a drive alternating sharp left and right turns.   It will give you audible notification when it pops loose.   Return slowly to the shop and proceed with disassembly and repair.  Probably might not work in the situation you described, but this was commonpractice for the flat rate guys at the dealership I worked at in high-school.  Lot quicker than messing with the puller and no buggered threads.  Enjoyed peaking at the under side.

• Like 1

You came to the right spot for lots love for old Mopars. We all like it too. Like it was frozen in time. As it would have been in the 50's.

She does crank over well, not a typical 6V growl I'm used to hearing. 

Good job on the video production and discussion points. You did well pointing out most of the unique features on the old car. I tend to overlook the obvious

when I do an old car walk-around video. For some reason I assume in error, people aren't too interested in plain old boring stuff. Not true. It was good to see and hear about every little detail. The little wear and tear items do indeed add to it's character. The car has stories to tell.  We see it and can reminisce about simpler times.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I have to admit I was disappointed at not seeing a road test,but after seeing the rear wheel bearings,I understand why there wasn't one.

All that other stuff is nice,but to me it's all about driving them. 

And I do honestly think you are going to be surperised at just how good it drives and rides. Nothing back then drove and rode like Mopars,and this is coming from a guy with multiple brand cars,including a flat 6 51 Ford business coupe that I flat out LOVE.

I haven't driven every make American car of the 50's,but I do believe the Mopars had the best brakes,too.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the video. I have basically the same car but mine is a ‘53 so some different trim and grille but body is the same. 102,000 miles and it’s 95% original, including paint (lots of gravel rash). It had rings, a burnt valve replaced, and other valves lapped 30,000 miles ago. These cars last well if maintained. I’ve owned mine since 1975. It’s a Canadian car so has the longer 25” motor as all Canadian Mopars had the longer engine since 1938. 

I’ve watched some of your other videos and really like your approach to cars!

There are a few other 53/54 Plymouth owners on the forum as well. 

4412A626-132D-4E4B-8422-42A85B4AB388.jpeg.754190849b789dc10355c111e07536a8.jpeg

914B11E4-085C-4AB0-BFF4-6E50DCB39172.jpeg.e1ac39f3c50e90b62e48d19e994b9762.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB