Mopar 36 heater core fabrication

I want to keep the original heater in my truck but the core cannot be repaired. I’m having BrassWorks in CA fabricate a new one (note that they use bent thin walled copper tubing and not the original fin design). Anyway, the cost is $325. They said I might be able to get a better price if they were doing more than one. Anyone interested? Lead time is 10-12 weeks. 
Thx,

Greg 

I got lucky and mine was fine in a pressure test. I did think about how to fabricate one in the event I had to. My plan was to have sheets of copper cut to form the fins, and use a couple tubes. I was going to push the "fins" over the tubes one at a time, solder them and push the next one on. For me, my time is free.

Tim

When I get my '56 core out the plan is to search heater core catalogs for a stock unit that may be adaptable.  The Murray catalog list all their units are listed with dimensions a pictures.  Surely out of the hundreds listed I can find one that can the adapted.  At least that is my hope.

While I haven't tested mine, it was disconnected and that is usually a sign that it leaks.

Edit:  For anyone interested in pursuing this possibility, One sources example starts on pg 43 of this document :http://www.carquestprofessionals.com/catalogs/heating_cooling/htr_heater_core_app_guide.pdf

Edited by kencombs

I have several heaters from several mfgrs lined up to refurbish and I am going the get-something-close-cuz-no-one-is-gonna-see-it route on the cores to keep my spending down...these kinds of savings helps pay for other project needs like tires, batteries, garage first aid kit supplies, etc :cool:

Yeah, I couldn’t find anything that would fit the Mopar 36 heater box either. There are a fair number of off the shelf units available with 12 or 6 volt fans, but they may require a firewall modification or custom mounting.  I’ve attached a photo of the BrassWorks replacement core. They have only done one. He is trying to locate the customer to verify that the design worked well. I’m in North Carolina, so a deep freeze is not really an issue for me at the moment. 

C58DA443-E22A-4286-8EF6-474F8A14BB69.png