1947 D24 Whats my dizzy?

SaberMike

I was trying to find the exact model of my distributor but the rare on the placard is long sense left the party. I have all factory original 1947 Dodge Custom with the flat head inline 6. The distributor also I see has what looks like a oil fill port on it. Is this a for like a light weight pin oil? Thanks all for any information. 

The specs are listed in Motor’s manuals. Looking at mine here dated 1957, the earliest Dodge listed is 1949.  Maybe someone here has an older manual and can help you out. 1950 or so Motors manual would have it.  

For reference for 1949 my book reads Auto-Lite D29 & D33  IGS-4207B-1.  For D30 and D34 1AP-4103A-1. 

I suspect these dizzys would probably work just fine in your 47.  What’s the difference year to year? Changes in Centrifugal weights or spring tension for advance changes? Changes to Vacuum diaphragm spring tension?

The tricky part without being able to read the #s on the dist is knowing if it's original to the car. If 30years ago someone swapped in a different one buying parts by car year won't work. Have you pulled the dist and looked closely? Is the tag still there? I have some that have black tags and later ones that are red. 

Some distributors I have are original to the car and some aren’t. I just take the points, condenser, rotor, and cap to my local auto parts store and they match them. I’ve done it this way for years and it’s worked fine. Ownership was probably the last place in the city with parts books but are switching over to solely computers so things will likely change……for the worse. 

6 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Ownership was probably the last place in the city with parts books but are switching over to solely computers so things will likely change……for the worse. 

Maybe see you can get their some of their parts book, before the throw them out!  Soon you might be dealign with a 19 year old that has no clue if a part it not easily found in the computer. Walk in a parts store and ask for some small generic brass fittings for the oil filter line of your Dodge. If they ask what year car, I am tempted to turn around and walk out.