Carb issues

Doug&Deb

I have a 52 Coronet with a Stromberg BXVES . I have another carb with less miles on it so I switched them. Under load the car seems to bog especially pulling a hill. I set the mixture with a vacuum gauge but I’m only getting 15-16 inches. I didn’t have this with the old carb so I’m wondering what’s different. Both carbs are rebuilt. Timing is tdc not pinging anymore lol. What am I missing?

Doug and Deb,

Reset your dwell/Points Gap, then Timing, then Vacuum Gauge Set the Carb in that Order. See what you get then. seeking about 20"

It may be there is dust gunk in the carb that is rebuilt, if so use carb cleaner as well. Take her for a run 50 - 55 mph. Fresh Gas - Non Ethanol if possible.

Good Luck!!!

Tom

Some things to look at..after making sure Ignition system is tuned properly and if the car still is not running out right..

Carb is plugged up...

Step up piston stuck and or jet plugged up..

Main jet partially plugged

Accelerator pump weak...

Good luck..?

Wouldn't bother the timing or anything else unless you changed it.  Bogging under a load sounds like a lean mixture, air leak or accelerator pump if nothing else was changed except carbs.    If you hold the gas pedal steady does it bog up the hill?  Does it bog momentarily and then regain when you press down on the gas?   Was the less miles carb working before on an engine?  Check for air leaks.. Was it pinging with the old carb and you changed the timing then, or pinged with the new carb?

It was running good with the old carb. It bogs all the way up hill and runs better once the load is off. I’m suspecting a vacuum leak. I’ll spray some carb cleaner today to check. I also lowered the float to compensate for ethanol gas. Could I have lowered it too much? It’s a crappy day today so a good day to spend in the garage.

I’m always guilty of trying to fix what doesn’t need fixing lol. I swapped because the old carb has more wear. I ended up putting the old one back on. There is a drip on the newer one so a tear down is in order. The car is running good again so I’m done lol.

• Like 1

Bogging isn't always a lean condition. Sometimes dumping too much fuel will cause a bog. If you get to poking around, you might find that the accelerator pump is just dumping fuel. I had a carb like yours do that, just dumped gas. If you do decide to mess with it, something else to look for 

Doug:  The leather on those accelerator pumps should be soaked in a little light oil to soften up the leather to make a good seal. Check on both carbs on this issue.  I was also getting rough idle when stopped at a light with the 39 Desoto.  I cleanout my two gas filter and found some crap in the glass bowels and also in the section inthe bowel of the carb. Clean this out also. Check you linkage and see if any worn components. My main choke plate at the top of my Carter where the choke rod attached the swagging of the link was worn so found a total NOS piece and chnaged that out.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com