Pulling motor question - might sound silly.

Bryan

When I get well I'm going to start again on my car.   Have a few questions. There are several Youtube videos and instructions here how to overhaul a motor and reassemble.   I even have a so call service manual. Problem is, the manual will say stuff like "remove transmission", then "remove clutch", etc without showing any real details.  When I do a specific search here I get specific issues like linkages, aligning clutches, etc..but not a general step by step with pictures of how to remove the motor from underneath the car (D24 Dodge).  I can handle the linkages,  wires etc. under the hood.  Just need more info what to do at the clutch, fluid drive, transmission, bellhousing area to remove the engine and later put it back in.

Not sure on the service manual you have. If I remember correctly the old Motors manual outlines these steps. Maybe you will need to reference the transmission section for removal, the clutch section for removal etc as they are called out in the service manual. Hope that helps.

14 minutes ago, oldodge41 said:

Not sure on the service manual you have. If I remember correctly the old Motors manual outlines these steps. Maybe you will need to reference the transmission section for removal, the clutch section for removal etc as they are called out in the service manual. Hope that helps.

a most recent repair on a late model Honda product has its manual set up in this fashion....while it is a good manual with the step by steps in the order it will keep backing itself up three or four sections...no just jump to change say coolant reservoir and go from there.  With a paper version of the manual this is a piece of cake, with a digital copy.....aggravating jumping back and forth....yeah..never have I cared for a digital manual....but, it beats having no reference data at all and I am glad to be able to view it online.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bryan said:

When I get well I'm going to start again on my car.   Have a few questions. There are several Youtube videos and instructions here how to overhaul a motor and reassemble.   I even have a so call service manual. Problem is, the manual will say stuff like "remove transmission", then "remove clutch", etc without showing any real details.  When I do a specific search here I get specific issues like linkages, aligning clutches, etc..but not a general step by step with pictures of how to remove the motor from underneath the car (D24 Dodge).  I can handle the linkages,  wires etc. under the hood.  Just need more info what to do at the clutch, fluid drive, transmission, bellhousing area to remove the engine and later put it back in.

I've found that the parts manual is super helpful, as a companion to the repair manual. There's very detailed, exploded drawings of most systems, though sometimes the angle the picture might be drawn at leaves out exactly the part you need to see. In general, the order of the parts in the exploded drawing is a pretty good way to see in what order stuff needs to come apart.

These cars are so basic and simple to work on. If you put it on jack stands and start poking around, you will quickly figure out what is what. Then you can reference your manual and it will make sense. Make sure to mark and label everything . Big ziplocs are your friend. Good luck.

• Like 1

The factory service b[k presuposes a basic level of mechanical familiarity and knowledge of toolls for procedures.  If you don't have that basis, some of the procedures can seem daunting.  Even finding all the fasteners the first time through can be a challenge.  So yes removing the transmission without knowing you need to take off the shifter rods,, and linkage, the drive shaft, the e brake cable, the speedometer cable, the reversing lamp wire, the clutch fork rod and oh yes, the pesky bolt way up on the drivers side that you can barely see, can be an agitating prosess.  Take pictures and clean everything up before you reach for the tools.

I suspect when they wrote the factory service manuals, the target audience was the experienced automotive mechanic who worked at the dealership. So step by step directions were not necessary. Basic fundamentals were probably expected to be well known to the dealer mechanic.

• Like 4

Another thing, try not to be intimidated by working on your car. It's all just nuts and bolts and a person put it together. Nothing too magical about it. Get in there and map it out in your head. Take your time and enjoy yourself. It becomes addicting, you'll find yourself daydreaming about wrenching, no lie.

• Like 2

If you're not familiar with Keith's videos on Youtube, you should take a look.   Lots of detailed instruction on how to work on flathead six engines.  Also there's another guy who doesn't talk that shows you how to restore a 218 Plymouth six engine and how to remove it.  Of course you first have to disconnect the linkages.  Take lots of detailed pics before you do!!!  Disconect the drive shaft, hand brake, speedo cable, exhaust pipe, radiator, etc.  You take out the engine and transmission at the same time.  Here's the video of how it is done:

In Popular Science Monthly    July 1953 , there is an article on how a shade tree mechanic and his helper put a rebuilt engine into a D24 Dodge over a weekend.   Good reading.   Page 140,   18 reasonably good illustrations and step by step directions.    Can be read on Youtube  but I have the magazine.   I remember reading it when I was a teenager . ( in the mid 60s)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

If you're not familiar with Keith's videos on Youtube, you should take a look.   Lots of detailed instruction on how to work on flathead six engines.  Also there's another guy who doesn't talk that shows you how to restore a 218 Plymouth six engine and how to remove it.  Of course you first have to disconnect the linkages.  Take lots of detailed pics before you do!!!  Disconect the drive shaft, hand brake, speedo cable, exhaust pipe, radiator, etc.  You take out the engine and transmission at the same time.  Here's the video of how it is done:

Yep, seen that one and about every motor tear down and reassemble of the motor..just not one up under the car getting stuff loose and where's the best place to take it apart.   I don't remember having clutch or transmission problems in the 1980s  ..but it's been sitting a long time.  If I just want the engine overhauled, where's the easiest point to unhook it?  Or are there things you would advise replacing anyway (like the clutch) if I'm pulling the motor?

20 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yep, seen that one and about every motor tear down and reassemble of the motor..just not one up under the car getting stuff loose and where's the best place to take it apart.   I don't remember having clutch or transmission problems in the 1980s  ..but it's been sitting a long time.  If I just want the engine overhauled, where's the easiest point to unhook it?  Or are there things you would advise replacing anyway (like the clutch) if I'm pulling the motor?

You can disconnect the engine from the bellhousing leaving the bellhousing in place.

There are (if I remember) 4 (possibly more) bolts that connect the engine/bellhousing together

I have done it this way several times

My 1st effort in removing a mopar 6 was when working on my 1940 Dodge coupe..........I was 16..........no shop manual but a handful of tools, dirt floored carport and a bright eyed, bushy tailed attitude............it went like this............

.........I had the car up on secured wooden blocks so firstly undid the rear 4 bolts on the driveshaft/diff flange.........the rear flange came undone easily so it was a good start............went to the front flange......undid those 4 nuts....flange was also inset into the brake drum......pulled the driveshaft but the flange was halfcocked on the 4 bolts.....................couldn't move the shaft...........O/k.............so I undid the 4 bolts holding the gearbox to the bellhousing(had already undone the various shifter linkages, handbrake cable & speedo cable).........with the 4 bolts undone I pulled the gearbox back......yes with the driveshaft hanging in the breeze..........guess what......the gearbox input shaft was halfcocked & stuck on the clutch/pressure plate inside the bellhousing..............O/K......so I moved to the front........got the big 3" water pipe gas welded gantry my brother & I had made up from ex fence posts and positioned it in the front over the engine.........undone the bellhousing side bolts, front engine mount plate and using the 1/2 ton block & tackle that our father had bought for just this occaision I proceeded to remove the engine, bellhousing, gearbox and driveshaft as one LONG sausage..........after said removal and with the "sausage" lying in front of the now engineless car it was quite easy to wiggle each piece of the sausage and it all came apart..............

..................now you may ask what happened to that engine/trans etc?............well after I decided I was going to be a hotrodder and didn't know anyone who may have wanted the stock engine etc.......we, my brother & I dug a hole and pushed said article into said hole....................however that was not the end of it..............said hole also had a 24 stud Ford Flathead engine which my younger brother had decided he wasn't going to use in the 35 Ford Coupe he had..............3 or 4 years later we both got our comeupence when after pleading with our parents to let their 2 car mad sons build a proper garage we gained the permission & started to dig the foundations of the 30 x 20 garage...........

...........you'll never guess what we found when digging the foundations........lol..........do you want to try?..........o/k so it wasn't that hard to guess.......lol...........have you ever had to did a much DEEPER HOLE beside a pair of old oily engines then roll them into said deeper hole?..........ah the joys of being bright eyed & bushy tailed........50 yrs later I still remember the fun...........Andy Douglas   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andydodge said:

"let their 2 car mad sons build a proper garage we gained the permission & started to dig the foundations of the 30 x 20 garage...........

...........you'll never guess what we found when digging the foundations........lol..........do you want to try?..........o/k so it wasn't that hard to guess.......lol...........have you ever had to did a much DEEPER HOLE beside a pair of old oily engines then roll them into said deeper hole?..........ah the joys of being bright eyed & bushy tailed........50 yrs later I still remember the fun...........Andy Douglas   

I have about 5 years ago laid out the garage slab soil base by hand and leveled it..your story was more fun ?.

IMG_5113.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_6159.JPG

9 hours ago, dpollo said:

In Popular Science Monthly    July 1953 , there is an article on how a shade tree mechanic and his helper put a rebuilt engine into a D24 Dodge over a weekend.   Good reading.   Page 140,   18 reasonably good illustrations and step by step directions.    Can be read on Youtube  but I have the magazine.   I remember reading it when I was a teenager . ( in the mid 60s)

I looked for that but only found a lady thumbing through a  July 1953 PSM with loose commentary.  You didn't mean Popular Mechanics?

Which car are you working on? Your 48 or the 58?

If you have a service manual, a parts manual, and a Motors manual, you've about as good as you can get for printed instructions. 

Maybe start to write out a list, in order of events. Then reference each section of each book. Make notes on your list about specific pages within each book with the data you need.

Get out there and look at the car when referencing the books. if you get stumped, looking at the actual car parts should help. 

If you are still stumped there are often You Tube videos on specific tasks. The Chrysler Master Tech series are awesome.  Then you've got the support of everyone here.

At some point we all just rolled up our sleeves and started digging in.  Figuring it out as we go.

I cannot speak specifically about your car but my '38 Plymouth was pretty easy. From memory my list of events included:

Steam clean as much as possible in engine bay and up under car

block up car and remove front wheels for easier access

Disconnected battery

Removed front seat

Removed cab front floor boards

Remove drive shaft

Remove transmission

Removed Engine hood and side panels

remove radiator & fan

Don't have to remove the front rad nose-cone enclosure but recommend

remove all mechanical and electrical connections to the engine. Wires, oil and fuel lines ect. Throttle linkage

Unbolt engine mounts

These next few items are not necessary but lighten the lift load quite a bit:

removed head

removed starter

removed generator

remove intake and exhaust manifold with carb

Lifted engine out with flywheel housing and clutch still attached using hydraulic hoist

While on hoist removed clutch & flywheel, the bell housing

Bolted engine to an engine stand

Commenced with tear down. Parts bagged and labeled. I took tons of photos and videos. Saved them to my Google Images account. They are

invaluable now at reassembly. It was a year ago I pulled the engine out. I tore it apart in Dec 2020. Now finally I am reassembling it this winter.

Documented details I made, are key to my success a year later.

I have uploaded videos to YT on my path to pulling the engine. From testing & measuring to tranny pull and engine pull, disassembly and re-assembly.

I am currently reassembling my engine.

I have a playlist here. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiWbTXH-Vdq7ghZwW51oXbu2B5tdOwjl_

The list of steps and instructions on my YT playlist are incomplete because so is my engine job. I'm not done. Still a work in progress. Videos liteally get uploaded as I progress ahead.

I don't cover every step in detail along the way. It takes a ton of time to record, edit & produce long detailed instructions for every step.

My personal goal is to rebuild an engine, unfortunately not to produce detailed video learning aids. I like to help people out along the way within a reasonable time commitment.  Giving folks  some confidence to do their own work. There is little reward for making these videos except for the overall good of the hobby. Love for the old Mopars. Flathead Terry and I are along the same lines, help folks keep these old cars alive.

Keith

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Which car are you working on? Your 48 or the 58?

If you have a service manual, a parts manual, and a Motors manual, you've about as good as you can get for printed instructions. 

Maybe start to write out a list, in order of events. Then reference each section of each book. Make notes on your list about specific pages within each book with the data you need.

have uploaded videos to YT on my path to pulling the engine. From testing & measuring to tranny pull and engine pull, disassembly and re-assembly.

I am currently reassembling my engine.

I have a playlist here. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiWbTXH-Vdq7ghZwW51oXbu2B5tdOwjl_

Keith

About to work on the 48 D24.. Aha! You're the one with the videos.. They're great, well done.   Yep, from someone else I just figured I need the parts manual, extra to my shop manual..

• Like 1

As others have said, label everything. Not high tech but works for me.

1024211202.jpg.4321a5503a36e35d861763f607799a68.jpg

Put the lid back on the coffee can & set it on a shelf, you can come back to it years later and know where everything goes.

Here is how I stored the pistons for the engine. We all love a good laugh  :D

Just saying there is some order to it, the right rear piston is for the right rear cylinder.

1024211230.jpg.2361e0e5cbf55869cee056d4862feeeb.jpg

Don't do what I do!  Would not take much to improve on my system. This particular engine is a 1951 Ford flathead V8. I have zero use for it and simply dissecting it and putting it away for future use. So the more oil on the pistons are good. May be 5 years or never before I put it back together. For now the pistons live in the attic of my garage.

I just think it is important to try and keep some sort of organization while disassembling. While we all have the best intentions, sometimes life gets in the way and takes longer to do what we want.

When I was a 30 year old kid I could rip the heads off and clean it up and put it back together in a weekend, driving it to work on Monday.

As we get older we get more responsibilities. 

I never bagged & tagged anything when younger. Just amazing how quick our priorities can change.

You own a house and you need to take care of the roof or the plumbing ... your project priority just got pushed to the back of the line.

Blow up the engine in your wife car & see how quick your priorities change. We just call this life. bag & tag everything.

• Like 1

@Los_Control You just wait till you see my parts washer in my next video! 

Here at home in our Hack Garages we do what we can, with what we have available to us.  MacGuyver and Micky Mouse are not visitors in our garages.  Their 2nd cousins may show up on the odd occasion. Lol.

• Like 4

answer to Bryan.  Definitely Popular Science  July 53. I have it in front of me.    Volume 163, #1.