need an engine...

dcstall

NEED AN ENGINE for my 1951 Dodge B1...This engine blew head gasket...bad(out the side)...engine has been rebuilt many times....and is now beyond repair.
it has a 4 speed floor shift Fluid Drive trans and have been told that makes the engine combo unique? it is a 218(i think)...will a 230 work as with the existing existing fluid drive ?
Not yet familiar with these Dodge trucks....ready for the lessons.  im in central Ohio, but willing to travel
Edited by dcstall

It was my impression that fluid drive was only behind 230 engines in 23,5 applications, as the weight of the unit requiring the 8 bolt and thicker crankshaft flange that was part of the 230 spec.  Conventional knowledge was that 218 and fluid drive were mutually exclusive.  I will admit here, I am not well versed in fluid drive or truck permutations so I may be singing from the wrong sheet here, but since I have been active on this forum it's been 230 mentioned with fd on the 23.5 inch engines.  

You didn't give your location but I have a P15 engine 218 looking to be removed.

Located in Central NY.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greg g said:

It was my impression that fluid drive was only behind 230 engines in 23,5 applications, as the weight of the unit requiring the 8 bolt and thicker crankshaft flange that was part of the 230 spec.  Conventional knowledge was that 218 and fluid drive were mutually exclusive.  I will admit here, I am not well versed in fluid drive or truck permutations so I may be singing from the wrong sheet here, but since I have been active on this forum it's been 230 mentioned with fd on the 23.5 inch engines.  

You didn't give your location but I have a P15 engine 218 looking to be removed.

Located in Central NY.

I believe that's true for cars but not trucks. I think you could get a fluid drive 218 pickup

7 hours ago, greg g said:

Located in Central NY.

I'm about to find out.  My D24 Dodge has a P 18 # engine in it. Always had a fluid drive because my father showed me it working and I drove it myself.

I just checked my old Hollander engine and crankshaft interchange.  It appears the 218 was not used with FD.  But, a lot of the engines in our vehicles today are not factory original.  So no telling what you will find.   There is even mention in the engine section about the flywheel needed to use a FD engine in standard applications that accounts for the longer crankshaft.

1/2 and 3/4 ton B-series trucks came with the 218 CID 23” engines, and starting in 1950 were also available with the Fluid Drive option.  The 1 ton trucks have the 230 CID engine and also had a FD option starting in ‘50. As I understand the car world, only the Plymouths use the 218 engine, and Fluid Drive was never an option for Plymouths. Any 23” 218 or 230 engine would be a direct replacement for the truck in question, but he’d need a 218 that was originally from a truck equipped with FD. 

I am also curious why the engine is “beyond repair”. If it’s just a blown head gasket the head can be shaved to make it flat, block checked for flatness, and reassembled with a new gasket.  

My 52 B3B came with FD 3 spd and the 218.

Most any engine can be repaired/rebuilt unless worn excessively or spun main bearings ,oversize cylinders etc.

11 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

As I understand the car world, only the Plymouths use the 218 engine, and Fluid Drive was never an option for Plymouths. Any 23” 218 or 230 engine would be a direct replacement for the truck in question, but he’d need a 218 that was originally from a truck equipped with FD. 

Merle..I have a 1941 Dodge D19 FD and it is 218....Dodge got the 230 in 1942 and Plymouth got the hand me down 218 although up from the 201 Plymouth sported about in 1941