Another dream ride!

Krusty

Hi gang,

Got myself another 251 powered project. This is a 64 Bombardier ram skidder. Very few were made. It is rough but you know, I always wanted one. Thankfully complete. Engine is stuck but not exposed to rain so may free up easy.

Resized_20211021_122247(1).jpg

• Like 6

That is so cool, boy that thing will pull some logs I'll bet. Right about now I'd I like to think I miss the tree industry, but I really don't LOL

CONGRATS

• 1 month later...

Sorry gang for the late reply. Bombardier built a lot of weird stuff in the day. This is similar to the J5 model that is much more widely available. They evolved into narrower tracked sidewalk plows. It sat outside till yesterday when I pushed it into my garage. Got 6" of snow overnite and am taking the existing engine out today. I put a cocktail of fluids into the plug holes but it did not free up. Found a great replacement 251 within a 10 hour drive. Was from a rebuilt aircraft ground generator.

Back to the Ram Skidder, it has a big PTO driven winch. Some sort of side shift tranny that I have yet to get to. A very odd transfer case in the back. Once I get the engine swapped, the wheel bearings will need a servicing and then hopefully ready for a ride.

What is the proper way to remove and install the front crankshaft pulley? Mine will need to be swapped to mate with the front crankshaft driven hydraulic pump. Also my donor engine comes with some sort of governor that I will never use incase someone has need. Here are a few more pics.....

20211206_111828.jpg

20211206_111820.jpg

20211206_111817.jpg

Day 2 of the transplant. Yesterday got the tranny out and removed as much as I could from the engine in the vehicle. Today lifted it out. Note to self, build 2000 sq ft shop. Once the engine was out I had 3" of greasy leaves to remove from the bottom of the tub. Still have the back half to do tomorrow. Stripped the goodies from the seized block and started to transfer the bellhousing onto the donor engine before dinner. Should get it ready for install tomorrow with a bit of free time. The donor engine has an SAE flywheel housing on it, maybe #3 or #4 as I did not measure it.

20211207_171602.jpg

On 10/22/2021 at 3:54 AM, Merle Coggins said:

Doesn’t look like you have much head room… 

Cool find. 

Reminds me of the walnut tree shakers out my way..... 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes the comment on lack of headroom....i was making myself disappear as I do not like to be visible in internet photos! Lots of headroom otherwise. Just wiring up the engine today. New plugs, wires and core wiring for it. The previous was a spaghetti mess. Couple questions though....

1) any idea what the lower part is on the carb? This carb came off a governed engine and plan to remove it.

2) anyone know a part number for an oil filter in the housing?

3) anyone have a part number for the exhaust manifold gasket to exhaust pipe?

Being in canada I cant easily order from the most excellent guys who specialize in this stuff, but have to call my local auto parts store with actual fram, felpro part number etc. Our napa here is pretty lame too.  They always ask what its for, and while my local auto parts store guys are awesome and make a big effort to order me in parts, their systems dont likely show 1963 bombardier ram skidder as an available vehicle!

20211221_103845-2.jpg

20211221_112416.jpg

• 1 month later...

That machine is a real work horse!

Awesome you got it running and can make use of it.

It sounds great too.

Like the sound of the fan roar!?