'51 Flathead 6 Towing Capacity

Wood and Steel

15 minutes ago, laynrubber said:

I have towed this for a couple trips, 1974 Boler camper. Estimated with gear inside to be around the 1600ish pound mark. Now the only places we have dragged this is around Saskatchewan which is “mostly” flat but there is some elevation changes in the north where I am. I could keep it in 3rd overdrive and stayed at the posted limit which here is 110 km/hr on double lane any faster and it felt like I was pushing it too hard. I have upgraded the brakes to dual system disc front.

17F91122-2186-4EC4-808E-7280C527624D.jpeg

I recall seeing those Boler camping trailers back in the day. I’ve always thought they were a ”right sized” camping trailer for me if I ever got in to camping trailers. We only recently decided that we are probably done with backpacking and are currently more into car camping but maybe we will move from car camping to trailers someday.

So I have towed one of my boats up to Huntington Lake for regattas twice. The lake is at 7,200 feet and close to a 600 mile round trip. The weather was really hot once I moved inland, 95-105 degree range. Ran around 60 mph on the flat areas but the grades were slow and painful especially in the heat. Never overheated but got pretty close a couple times and just pulled over and let it cool down. Brakes were a little dicey in a couple spots, but using engine braking helps mitigate the issue. But I never got left sitting on the roadside waiting for tow truck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

So I have towed one of my boats up to Huntington Lake for regattas twice. The lake is at 7,200 feet and close to a 600 mile round trip. The weather was really hot once I moved inland, 95-105 degree range. Ran around 60 mph on the flat areas but the grades were slow and painful especially in the heat. Never overheated but got pretty close a couple times and just pulled over and let it cool down. Brakes were a little dicey in a couple spots, but using engine braking helps mitigate the issue. But I never got left sitting on the roadside waiting for tow truck.

Forgot to mention the boat and trailer were around 2,000 pounds total.