What Does This Oil Bath Air Filter Fit?

JerseyHarold

I have that air cleaner that came off of a 1950 Dodge Wayfarer.  The decal says Industrial Wire Cloth Co.  It also fits my 48 DeSoto, but the 48 DeSoto came with a different air cleaner made by AC Spark Plug Co.  From observations of old cars for the last 40 years, I believe those ribbed oil bath air cleaners made by Industrial Wire Cloth Co. were used on the 49-52 Plymouths and Wayfarer Dodges.  The larger cars like Chrysler and DeSoto and the Dodge Coronets used that larger dome-shaped air cleaner.  I had one on my 50 Chrysler, but I don't remember who made it.  

P1020756.JPG

P1020758.JPG

P1020759.JPG

5 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

I've been looking at online photos of air filters and I think Mopar got them from various suppliers depending on year and factory.   There doesn't seem to be consistent use of the 'ribbed' type vs the 'dome' type.  Does this sound reasonable?

That wouldn't surprise me. Also sometimes the Detroit factory may have had a different supplier than Cali. The one difference I've seen between newer and older is the height of the bolt hole for the brace. I had one all painted up for my p15 that probably came off a p23 and the hole didn't match up.